BOE letter: "presiding overseer" becomes "coordinator of the body of elders

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yesidid
    yesidid
    Everything that the Watchtower leadership does comes down to two core agendas: 1) Cutting costs. 2) Strengthening its control over the flock. I believe that everything the Society does today fits under one of these two objectives in one way or another.

Well put. Very insightful.

• blondie
    blondie

Pardon me if this has been said, but since when have the elders all been equal? There is a Service Committee now made up of the PO, Secretary, Service overseer that have functions apart from the rest of the elder body, "elevating" them above the rest. In the beginning the PO was just supposed to coordinate (and was rotated every year) but that ended. The WTS needed more direct control over the body. I anticipate this is just a change in semantics not function.

Blondie

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'm a little late to this discussion but from what I can see I think more is being read into this letter than is really there. It is apparent that the Watchtower wants to dispel the common held notion that PO's are the ones in charge, but what effect this will really have remains to be seen. I'm sure it may have a little effect, but to what avail?

The Watchtower has so many problems facing it, to think that this is somehow a solution to them is laughable. Their message is outdated, young people are leaving in droves, and the flock is getting tired. Come on Brooklyn, you have got bigger fish to fry ;)

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo
    Somebody just above mentioned a very intreaging idea: The JW organization is slowly and irreversably become more Mormon-like in their organization.

So I wonder if they're passing out red underware and annointing oil at Patterson to the PO's/coordinators?

• ID Crisis
    ID Crisis

I haven't even worked out the current system ...

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

Interesting points regarding the organizational flow chart. By the way, that flow chart published by the Society reminds me of one of those convoluted flow charts used to outline the authority structure in a large governmental agency. It's interesting how the New Testament's emphasis on a New Covenant and a personal relationship with Christ Jesus has been pushed aside to make room for a corporate style management structure. It's like a multi-level marketing enterprise on steroids. But, I digress . . . .

Wow. Digress away! That is one of the most awesome statements ever.

These days I'm not really feeling a personal relationship with anything spiritual but if I were I'm sure I wouldn't sign up for a religious org chart. Agreed that we get enough of that at the office. (I'm sure it's no coincidence that there is an enormous amount of MLM at the KH).

-- Not Feeling It

• Dino
    Dino

Pope, I swear you are the funniest pontiff since Pius!!!

Love ya' dude,

Dino

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I emailed this news to an active JW elder. He responded as follows.

"I guess we'll just keep calling our Presiding Overseer, 'Your Highness'.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

It is topics like this and the reply's that I have read that allow me to understand why I just read from this form for a year before I even thought to give a reply....You guys are awesome! PS.....can you think of the PO's that are the most disadvantaged by this new policy from those who benifit. In my opinion the dumber you are the more you benefit!!!!

• abbagail
    abbagail

I'm only on page 1, but had to make note of this part of the BOE letter...

"...elders serve as shepherds, cooperating together with Jesus Christ and the faithful and discreet slave class for the advancement of Kingdom interests..."

As if the Lord Jesus Christ needs assistants between Him and His followers... pffff!

"There is NO MEDIATOR between God and Man except ONE, Jesus Christ" [1 Tim 2.5] ... it doesn't say, "Jesus Christ AND The FDS!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit