by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's the text of the letter:

Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Coordinator of the body of elders

Dear Brothers:

Jehovah is the Supreme Overseer, and he has appointed Jesus Christ as head over the congregation. (Eph. 1:22; 1 Pet. 2:25) Congregation elders serve as shepherds, cooperating together with Jesus Christ and the faithful and discreet slave class for the advancement of Kingdom interests and for the good of the entire congregation.--Matt. 24:45; Eph. 4:15, 16.

One of the many positions of responsibility in the body of elders is that of presiding overseer. Effective January 1, 2009, the term "presiding overseer" will no longer be used, since that expression may convey the thought that one overseer holds more authority than the rest do. Scripturally, individual elders are to cooperate closely with the body of elders, with each member holding equal authority. Hence, no elder is above the others in the body, and none of them should try to dominate the others.--Matt. 23:10; od p. 37 par. 1.

In view of this, the designation "presiding overseer" is being changed to "coordinator of the body of elders." This term more correctly describes his role as one who helps the body of elders to work together harmoniously. He is not the coordinator of the congregation but rather the coordinator of the body of elders. In recognition of Christ's headship, he humbly works along with the other elders in caring for the flock of God.--Rom. 12:10; 1 Pet. 5:2,3.

We are confident that this adjustment will help all to more fully understand how the body of elders functions. Please accept a sincere expression of our appreciation for your tireless work in behalf of Kingdom interests.

Your brothers,

Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

cc: Traveling overseers

PS to presiding overseer:

Please promptly arrange for this letter to be read to the body of elders. All the cited scriptures and the cited paragraph in the Organized book should be included in the reading. Thereafter, the secretary should place the letter in the congregaition's permanent file of policy letters. An announcement regarding this change will appear in Our Kingdom Ministry.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Billy, Thank you for the letter.

• asilentone
    asilentone

We will find out how the bodies of elders will adjust to this new policy in 2009. It should be interesting to see how it would play out in 2009.

• saklunch
    saklunch

seriously.......talk about straining out a gnat while gulping down a camel. Let's worry about symantics and ignore the hypocrisy and the pedophilia, etc etc etc. So typical. Thanks Billy for keeping us up to date.

Sarah

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Following that line of logic, I propose that the bORG change the name of pioneer to "Door to door publishers who waste more time then other publishers"

That way the congregation won't think that those bigger time wasters are actually uncovering new territory like that of a pioneer.

LD

• besty
    besty

Another piece of the jigsaw.

The word 'coordinator' definitely carries the thought of equality and same rank

But why move to make the PO less powerful? Perhaps to fit better into a new circuit-level structure with the soon to be axed CO's and uber-Circuit elders? The coordinator will be a focal point for the passage of information between the circuit elders and the local elders, not a decision maker in his ow right but more of a conduit - a single point of contact if you like....more speculation on my part..

A powerful 'PO' would be a threat to this new structure so lets make all elders equal as a first step.?

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a big picture strategy behind all these changes - slowly the image of the beast is coming into focus.

And the next announcement will be.....

• horrible life
    horrible life

Thank goodness. It's about time!! All of my letters to Bethel finally paid off. My wish has been granted. I can sleep peacefully tonight.

seriously.......talk about straining out a gnat while gulping down a camel. Let's worry about symantics and ignore the hypocrisy and the pedophilia, etc etc etc. So typical. Thanks Billy for keeping us up to date.

saklunch, You are dead on with your statement!! And thanks from me Billy. I hope that you someday are able to report that the WT is in big, big trouble with something. By the way, with all the talk of Palin being Hot, I think you are hot. Just thought I would throw that in, especially since nobody reads my posts, and it will be buried here for eternity.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Thanks, Billy, for the letter. The watchtower world is a crazy merry-go-round. My head feels much better since I got off.

And, Horrible Life, I read your post!

• asilentone
    asilentone

Horrible Life, I have read your entire post!

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yawn.

They could call them bananas if they wanted to, it wouldn't change anything. I suspect that elders who want to throw their weight around will find a way to continue doing so. It's just more window dressing to keep the R&F in line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit