I'm making out a will and naturally I upset my family

by Lady Zombie 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Is it time for the JWs to renew their blood cards or something?!

The reason I ask is because my mother mentioned that I need to get my advance directives in order and be sure to keep the no blood card on me at all times, blah blah blah, and do I need any help in getting it all organized.

I mentioned to her that I don't need any help, I worked in the healthcare field for a long time. I told her that my advance directive specifies no life support for a hopeless prognosis, etc.

Then I mentioned to her that I'm in the process of making out a legal will. No, I'm not that old (38) but since I am past 35, it isn't a bad idea either.

She wanted to know what was in it, so I filled her in. The conversation ended with her in tears (again) and playing her martyr's game.

I basically told her that:

1) I want to be cremated. This wasn't a problem for her. Until I got to number two....

2) My dearest and best friend (who is "worldly") will take possession of my ashes and will spread them. She wanted to know why I'm specifing that in my will. I told her "so you and dad won't just throw them in the garbage." See, when my father's father died (also a JW), he was cremated. None of my father's family claimed the ashes. They told the funeral home to just dispose of them. Keep in mind that 95% of my family are JWs. When I inquired as to why they did this, I got JW-isms in response.

Well apparently this shocked her and she got really quiet. I told her there's more, like...

3) No funeral. Meaning, no service, no eulogy. I even intend to specify my newspaper obit as just the facts, i.e. birthdate, deathdate, survivors. Period. Nothing more.

When she asked why, I told her that I do not want a JW funeral. Although even though I'll be dead, I told her that I'll be damned if some dipshit only talks about me for 5 minutes and the rest of the 25 on a JW informercial. And since I'm sure that the rest of the family and all their friends would not be willing to have a non-religious secular memorial service, then let's just scrap the whole thing and send me down the proverbial memory hole (ref: Orwell's 1984).

Anyway, the conversation ended with her doing her quiet little boo-hooing and martyr's game.

So now I feel like a spiteful bitch. Again.

Yes, I might have been unnecessarily harsh, but she wanted to know what was going to be in my will, so at least I was honest.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

LZ...

Your post made me think...I am not that much older than you (41), but I dont have a will made out, and I still have that damn JW blood card in my wallet. That is going in the shredder as soon as I can find an alternative document regarding end of life decisions.

I also told my JW mom and nonJW family I do not want a morbid JW funeral..you said it right..JW informercial... I believed this even while still an elder...I wanted a party instead...some can celebrate my life, others can celebrate my death.

I dont have immediate family (no wife or kids) to worry about, but maybe I should take out a bit of life insurance so my nephew benefits. ...hmmmm....

Oh...I dont know the hangup JWs have about scattering ashes, etc.......when my JW dad died, my mom took his cremains and made a sculpture out of em (put the gray cremains and colored sand, shells, etc and put them in a large glass cookie jar (the one dad told us we couldnt get into).....mom's way of "Getting back" at him I guess lol... that "sand sculpture" stayed on the living room shelf for several years..... you can imagine the comments it generated...but it was pretty.....in a weird way....eventually, mom scattered the ashes off the beach in Florida.... I think a family friend still has a mini-version of the sand thing at home....

Snakes ()

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

"It's your death, you can do what you want...."

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Omg, i was thinking the same thing about when I died, about the JWisms they would do, about what they would say about me and about what would happen.

I want a funeral; I want an awesome funeral filled with music and humor and people idealigin my existance. Forget that i owe you money, you knew me so you were blessed to give me money... You know?

Plus I was a choir to sing the 5th's Dimension "Let the Sunshine in" as it is one of my favorite songs and if anything I want folks to leave my funeral revitalized on their own lives. Not wondering if they'll see me in the new system because of 'the grave sins I've done.' So i understand you. and if you sound like a bitch, then so what she prolly sounded like one to you a couple of times and it was no stress of of her back because 'it was what you needed to hear'.

• wobble
    wobble

I am a Willwriter,by trade, here in the U.K and I don't know about the law in the U.S of etc. and I am shakey on other countries law, but here you do not really have legal rights over your ashes or body,but if you write a proper will,and appoint a strong Executor who will carry out your wishes it would be highley unusual if you did not get what you want,but it is VITAL that you set out your wishes in a proper legal Will.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit