Canadian poll shows Canadians giving creationism the boot.

by kwintestal 5 Replies latest social current

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I read this article while sipping some coffee this morning and thought it was interesting. One of the things that got me the most is that 69% of MEN believe in evolution ... which would mean that there would be a highly disproportionate number of women who believe in creationism. I wonder why that is?

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008/08/06/6364086-sun.html

Poll finds 58% for evolution

One-fifth favour creationism
    By JASON BUCKLAND, SUN MEDIA

A majority of Canadians believe in the theory of evolution while about one in five accept creationism, a new study said yesterday.

An Angus Reid online poll shows 58% of Canucks think humans evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and 22% believe God created people in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

Robert A. Campbell, a former U of T religion prof now with Cape Breton University, said people in 2008 are more likely to form their own opinions on God rather than inherit them.

"There's a great deal more open debate about certain viewpoints now," he said.

HIGHEST IN ALBERTA

"The old view on evolutionary theory isn't necessarily the case any more. There's considerably more opportunity to be educated about belief instead of being indoctrinated about it."

About two-thirds of res pondents aged 15-34 believe in evolution, but only 51% of those over 55 accept it.

Men (69%) and those with at least one university degree (71%) were more inclined to buy into evolution, while people from Alberta (40%) and members of the Conservative Party (29%) back creationism the most.

Household income apparently plays a role in belief, too. In homes with annual earnings over $100,000, about 66% accept evolution.

'OPENING THEIR EYES'

Campbell said he wouldn't be surprised to see the number of Canadians who reject creationism jump as the years go by and science is more present in day-to-day life.

"I think people are opening to their eyes to scientific aspects that are hard to ignore," he said. "Science is only going to be integrated into our lives more and entwined with that is quite a bit of evolutionary theory."

That view was echoed by a Wilfrid Laurier University student in town for a few days.

"I'm a man of facts, not fairy tales," Shane Dejong said. "I believe in evolution because, well, it's ridiculous to think humans were created out of thin air by a magical figure."

Kwin

• Mincan
    Mincan

Cheers! Thanks for that, brightened my mood considerably to consider the people outside my window on my bicycle route embrace observation and open-mindedness.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    brightened my mood considerably to consider the people outside my window on my bicycle route embrace observation and open-mindedness.

Isn't the last line in the article awesome?!?!

"I'm a man of facts, not fairy tales," Shane Dejong said. "I believe in evolution because, well, it's ridiculous to think humans were created out of thin air by a magical figure."

Kwin

• Satanus
    Satanus

Alberta, the bible belt of canada.

S

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

This is pretty much how it is in every Industrialized country except for the U.S. It's not really surprising. America was the place to go for all of Europe's bizzarre Christian minorities. Our freedom of religion unfortunately attracted all the crazy ones!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

One more reason to be proud to be Canadian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit