Need Help From Anyone Who Has Been Part of a World Wide Org Other Than JW's

by Eh 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Eh
    Eh

I've been having some good discussions with my JW brother-in-law about God, The Bible, and The Witnesses. He's really integrated into the JW life and I think he truly believes the stuff they peddle. It's clear that he has never done any research outside of the WTBS publications and has never really questioned his beliefs. I'd like him to start, but I have no aims of deconverting him.

Anyway, we were having a good conversation when he asked, "Have you ever been a part of a world wide organization?" He then proceeded to tell me about the feelings he had when he went to an international convention in Poland (feelings of belonging to a world wide brotherhood, having so much in common with someone without knowing anything about them - speaking the same language, etc). He then told me an experience he had when he bumped into a JW while on some other vacation (from stranger to brother in an instant). He thinks that his "world wide brotherhood" is unique, but since he's never been a part of any other world wide organizations, he's not sure.

So what I would like is to gather some testimonials from anyone who has ever been a part of a world wide organization (other than the JW's) who has felt similar feelings to what my brother-in-law has felt as being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Is there anything out there like it?

What I'm not looking for (although it is welcome) is a deconstruction of the argument that this "brotherhood" feeling proves anything, means anything, or isn't expected based on the way JW's alienate themselves from the rest of society.

• Rohag
    Rohag

Hello!

Many Muslims who make Hajj - make the at-least-once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca - report the experience as a spiritual highpoint of their lives. Nowadays, each year about two million plus from all parts of the globe arrive in Saudi Arabia to perform the rituals of Hajj. Pilgrims don simple white garments to symbolize purity and erase (or minimize) the difference between rich and poor, and, despite 100+ mother tongues, worshiping Allah demands Arabic. Check the Web for "Hajj memoirs."

Every year many faithful Roman Catholics come to St. Peter's in Rome to attend Christmas Midnight Mass or the Easter Vigil. Those can be profound experiences and especially so during the Holy Years held every 25 years.

Praying at the Western Wall in Jerusalem can be deeply moving for observant Jewish worshipers, who may have been pulled into a minyan (sacred quorum of ten men) composed of Israelis, Americans, Bukharans, Argentines, Russians, and others to join their voices in Hebrew praise of Hashem (G-d - that's you-know-Who, YHWH).

Also, Hindus have their "Kumbh Mela," Buddhists have four main and four other pilgrimage sites, the Latter-Day Saints have Salt Lake Temple, and Cubbies have Wrigley Field.

I'm sure others can add to the list.

• ferret
    ferret

Rotary International is a worldwide brotherhood all aiming for the same goals.

check them out, they are a very good service club of business men, doing good things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit