THE MEANEST THING I'VE HEARD!

by Pureheart 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Dear friends,

I attended a 2 day circuit assembly a couple of weeks ago and one of the speakers gave this scenario.
    "I talked to a brother that was standing on the top of the WTS building when the planes flew into the WTC. He said he knew that the centers would go down at armageddon, but to see it actualy happen, and to see all those poor people jumping from those burning buildings, was gut wrenching."
    My heart sunk to say the least. I felt like crying. How could anyone be so cold. I knew personally one of the people that died in the WTC. I said in my heart, "please Jehovah, forgive them of their ignorance."
    I love to play and have fun. I am realy a kid at heart. I love people and want everyone to be happy. This kind of thinking makes me sad and distressed. It is not normal. Jehovah the Creator is not like this. Many people have turned away from Him because of crazies like this.

Pureheart

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

You would have to be a wack job to believe that God would kill 99.9% of the world. So saying that about the World Trade Center sounds about right.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Jeremy's Hate Mail Hall Of Fame.
    http://hometown.aol.com/onjehovahside/ and [email protected]

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Ah, if only that were the worst comment made about that tragedy. Over on WOL, several of the posters wrote that they were in business meetings in New York on that day, and when they heard the news they stated that they "gave glory to Jehovah" and "felt very excited" because they were sure that this was the beginning of Armageddon. One "brother" posted that "they ain't seen nothin yet....just wait until things REALLY get going".

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Jehovah the Creator is not like this.

Do you even read the bible?

• willy_think
    willy_think

hi Pureheart,
    "It is not normal. Jehovah the Creator is not like this. Many people have turned away from Him because of crazies like this."

no it's not normal pureheart. i hope you find him.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thank you for your comments, Pure. It is indeed sad whenever anyone rejoices over someone else's calamity. Like Red (hello, Red!) mentioned, it's far from being the worst thing said. It reminds me of an incident that happened long ago while a 'brother' and I were working together on a commercial building that was being remodeled. He points to a group of 'worldly' workers off to our left and says: "Aren't you glad we're not like them? I wouldn't want to be them at Armageddon."

This guy was not and is not a bad person. Actually, he's a kind person and I don't think that he would ever deliberately hurt anyone. But like so many others, he's been conditioned to think along certain lines.

I reminded him of the parable about the tax collector and the pharisee in the eighteenth chapter of Luke: "The Pharisee stood up and prayed about£ himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
    “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
    --NIV

One of the great problems with religions as they exist is that they cannot help but offer up interpretations for virtually every statement recorded in the Bible. Some, most notably the WTBS, offer these as THE ONLY explanation that can be made. Once the believer 'accepts' this contrivance then it is close to impossible for that one to see any alternative meaning until and unless that authority to which he has submitted himself/herself suggest something different on the matter. That being the case it is more easily understood how a witness cannot apply Jesus' parable (above) to himself or his 'brothers'.

Taking a narrow view of something is never wise and sometimes it's quite dangerous. Sometimes I get a little 'static' when I mention something favorable to witnesses in general or particularly the Society. (smile) It's then that I think back of when I had the green glasses on and how difficult it was for me to attribute anything positive to anything and anyone not 'in the truth'. Now the green glasses are gone and I hope that I do not somehow slip on another color in it's place. Oz is really quite lovely with the naked eye.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Pureheart,

Please forgive me, but I don't get it. Didn't the speaker call the experience a ``gut-wrenching" one, and the vctims ``those poor people?''

I'm quite aware, of course, that people who are otherwise kind and well-motivated and who buy into the WT worldview are capable of saying the most insensitive, callous, cruel things about the fate the 99.9 percent of the world that tunes out their gloom-and-doom message. We all probably can recall some brainless wonder of a dub who, when out preaching in an affluent neighborhood, begins to covet some worlding's beautiful home.

Yet I'm sure those who speculate so glibly about the bloodletting and earthwide carnage of Har-Magedon, would pass out cold if the ever would encounter as much as one mangled corpse lying in the road, say, as an eyewitness to a horrific automobile accident.

It seemes to me that if a JW retains any trace of his/her innate magnaminity, compassion and basic human decency, it's in spite of rather than because of, his/her Watchtower indoctination.

Still, in this instance, and based on what you recount, the speaker's observation seems relatively bland, or at least much less outrageous than the WT's printed rhetoric and other statements made over the years. Take, for example, Fred Franz' rejoinder when asked whether he really believed his God will destroy infants at Armageddon: ``Well, little rats eventually grow up into big ones.''

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit