So, why do you really hate the Roman Catholic Church?

by StAnn 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nark

...as Rapunzel already point out, even among the clergy there is room for holding, and even cautiously expressing, a very broad spectrum of opinions... Practically, it now takes very much for anyone to be excommunicated from the Catholic church

If the point you guys seem to want to make is, that, they feel these issues are no longer important, w hy don't they apologize and admit that they cut off the reformers for what amounts to no good reason? As you saw in the piece about the Pope, looks like it's still a big issue to them.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm not an expert in canon law, but I suspect there's a difference between revising individual judgements (e.g. the partial rehabilitation of Galileo Galilei) and anonymous doctrinal pronouncements, especially if the latter responded or led to reciprocal condemnations by other churches (i.e., Lutheran and Reformed). Whatever the case, history can be rewritten but not undone: what matters (to an extent) is how current Catholicism and Protestantism understand and relate to each other now, and this cannot be reduced to an assessment of 16th-century history, as both "religions" have changed a lot since.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

The crusades, The Inquisition, the general self righteousness of their members, the fact they kept us in the dark ages for so long fighting against knowledge and progress

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think a lot of us are really pissed off about that funny looking hat the Pope refuses to take off.

Rub a Dub

• yesidid
    yesidid

The present animosity of Arabs in general and Muslims in particular can be traced directly to the Catholic Crusades.

Hitler could never have come to power and waged the Second World War had Pope Pious not given his and the Catholic Church’s full support.

The book “Hitler’s Pope” proves that beyond doubt.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'm ambivalent to the Roman Catholic Church. I think religion miss leads mankind.

I would guess the Wactower hates it because they are apostates of the Roman Catholic Church.

• yesidid
    yesidid

I would guess the Wactower hates it because they are apostates of the Roman Catholic Church.

You're close. Actually the're apostates of apostates.

• gloobster
    gloobster

The whole "papal infallibility" doctrine kind of pisses me off. Much like the Governing Body infallibility doctrine present in the WTS, except Catholics don't change their minds as much.

That said, I love their churches and all the rituals and whatnot--absolutely beautiful stuff. Much more exciting(?) than the Memorial. And a much fancier cup thingy for the wine.

• gloobster
    gloobster
    Hitler could never have come to power and waged the Second World War had Pope Pious not given his and the Catholic Church’s full support.

The book “Hitler’s Pope” proves that beyond doubt.

That's a great book, I read it a while back.

Pope Pius XII did not give Hitler his full support as much as he just tacitly agreed to not intervene with the Holocaust, as long as Catholics weren't affected. Which, of course, they eventually were. Most people who gave Hitler their support did so out of fear, and the Vatican was no exception.

I guess it could be viewed as "full support", but the Pope wasn't exactly like, "Go kill Jews!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit