Gettin educated

by JehovahIsPissed 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JehovahIsPissed
    JehovahIsPissed

Hi, im new to posting, i'm working on fading out slowly and planning on beggining a college career, but raised a jw, and was homeschooled

so no s.a.t.s. or any scholastic awards, and also money is not exactly growing on trees. anyone here been in a similar position? if so how did you manage it?

• StAnn
    StAnn

Welcome to JWD!

It depends on how old you are. Where I live, if you're 25 or older, colleges don't require SATs or ACTs. Also, as a homeschooler, did you take the CATs every year? Many curriculums are set up to give you a transcript upon graduation. I know many college students who were homeschooled. Perhaps you should check with the admissions office of the college you wish to attend and they can advise you.

Also, you should talk to the financial aid office of the college you wish to attend. They can help you fill out your FAFSA to see what kind of financial aid you qualify for. Depending on how old you are, your parents income may or may not be considered.

You may wish to do your first two years at a community college and get a "general education" associate's degree, which you can then transfer to a four-year university and get your bachelor's degree. It will save you some money.

I don't know your employment status but many employers do a tuition reimbursement. My aunt got her RN, paid for by her employer. She would register for and pay for a class herself, complete the class, and then turn in her grades after each semester. As long as she passed each class with at least a C, her company would reimburse her for the cost of the class.

What kind of major are you considering?

StAnn

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are plenty of colleges that are wholly online. You get the courses mailed to you, and you do the whole thing online. This has an advantage of being able to work on your schedule, it is often cheaper because there are no professors, and you do not have to travel physically to go to a college or university across the country.

The disadvantages are chiefly that you will not get the on-campus experiences. Also, taking tests can be a bit more complicated because the temptation is to cheat on them (if you are within a point or two of getting a critical grade, it is tempting to go online for the answers). However, for many, the advantages can outweigh the disadvantages, especially if you are already living away from your parents.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If I ever get rich I am going to start an Apostate Scholarship program.

BTS

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Hi JiPissed,

I was in your same boat a year and a half ago.... Now I have a BA...

Click on the link for details:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/156254/1.ashx

Lance

• Quandry
    Quandry

so no s.a.t.s. or any scholastic awards, and also money is not exactly growing on trees. anyone here been in a similar position? if so how did you manage it?

You can take the TASP tests at your local community college. You can even check out books that will help you prepare for them. Speak to those in charge about how to go about getting financial aid.

May I say----good for you that you have decided to better yourself (and your community) by an education. What you need is determination...lots of it....you can do it. Go for it and let no one stop you. You are worth it.

• Emma
    Emma

I think most two-year colleges are familiar with home schooling and won't require SATs to get in. They cost a whole lot less money, too, and usually have scholarships available. Transfering as a junior, it'll be easier to get in to a four-year university since there are usually lots of freshman applying and not so many juniors. My daughter did this successfully as did one of her friends.

Best of luck success! (don't know if you're ready for luck, yet.. ) Emma

• JK666
    JK666

JIP,

What a cool screen name!

Welcome to JWD!

JK

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Welcome JIP
    What fields or lines of study are you thinking of pursuing in college?

Stone

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hi and welcome to the board.

I do not know what resources are available to you with regards to grants etc. It's worth looking into. In the UK we have courses that enable you to get into university without the need for academic qualifications. I don't know if you have anything similar in your country. They usually take a year to complete or two years part time.

There are also many options for online home study degrees. I am registered on one myself, that way i can fit my work around it and finance it that way.

Paul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit