Steven T. Byington / Bible in Living English

by cathyk 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cathyk
    cathyk

There's an article posted by William Dalton at the Andover Townsman on Steven T. Byington, translator of the Bible in Living English. There are some interesting tidbits about the man which I didn't know, including the fact that he was an anarchist!

You might want to head over to the comboxes, because there's only me (with a neutral post) and a couple of rah-rah JW posts. The article itself is worth the visit.

http://www.andovertownsman.com/archivesearch/local_story_198151856.html

Cathy

oldlighthousebooks.blogspot.com

• cathyk
    cathyk

I forgot to add that the author would appreciate any comments or additional information for a follow-up article.

Thanks,

Cathy

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Hey, Cathy, I posted the same article under "NWT" as well as a commentary by Byington on what is wrong with the jw Bible.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/162345/1.ashx

• cathyk
    cathyk
    Hey, Cathy, I posted the same article under "NWT" as well as a commentary by Byington on what is wrong with the jw Bible.

Yeah, I didn't see it until after I posted this one, but I figured afterwards that between us we'd capture some interest in the topic. :-) Thanks for the link on Byington's opinion of the NWT.

Cathy

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Thanks for the link on Byington's opinion of the NWT

You're welcome. I wonder if the WB&TS bought his translation, because i disagreed with their's.

• RR
    RR

I have byington's book on arnarchy, actually he didn't write it, he just translated it from German, back around the turn of the century.

It has been reprinted and is available on Amazon in paperback for less than 10 bucks

RR

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I remember when the Bible in Living English was released in 1972. One of the elders in our congregation loved it so much that he often used it in his talks, sometimes to the exclusion of the NWT. Many of the renderings in Byington's Bible are superior to the NWT. Interestingly this elder left the JWs a few years later. No doubt the Bible in Living English was a factor.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I have also noticed some interesting translations/renderings in the Byington Bible, enough that I decided to keep that Bible, but I hardly ever use that Bible.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I was in Andover MA about ten years ago and visited the historical society there. I donated a copy of Byington's Bible to their historical documents library. They seemed pleased to get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit