What's up with this????

by seek2find 8 Replies latest jw friends

• seek2find
    seek2find

At this weekends convention July 4-6 it was announced that donations by check must be made out to the "Christian Congregation Of Jehovah's witnesses", and that if you had made one out to Watchtower you should go to the chairmans office and change it. Why the change this year, and what difference does it make? Seemed strange to me, of course many things seem strange to me about this religion these days seek2find

• james_woods
    james_woods

It was speculated upon before that this may be a step toward a name change.

I wonder if now "Christian" could be seen as a better buzz-word than "Witnesses"...always a weird name for a religion.

I.E. "Jehovah's Witnesses" >> "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" >> "Christian Congregation of Jehovah" ???

Or, it might be some nefarious legalistic play to avoid some government regulation.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hi James, Thanks for your input. I wonder if maybe they may be expecting to have to file bankruptcy at some point and are trying to get good at juggling funds to avoid loosing large amounts in case of a class action suit or other legal action. There has to be a reason, just not sure. seek2find

• james_woods
    james_woods

seek2find - you made me think a little on this. It might not have to even be as serious as an imminent bankruptcy. I wonder if some great Watchtower "legal mind" has not realized that the traditional corporate "Watchtower Society" may in fact be ruled as merely a publishing business at some point in the future.

If that were the case, the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" would be a convenient, nebulous, non-corporate way to hold the contributions.

Or, it might just be another flight of their immense capacity for whimsical insider "newspeak name changes". I sometimes wonder if they don't do one of these every so often to get everybody worked up as if they had discovered another theocratic secret of the universe or something.

They have also shown an amazing tendency over the years at corporate obfuscations (new corporations, name changes, etc.) - how many WTBTS corporate entities have there been? I never could keep them all straight (just the publicly announced USA ones, BTW) back in the 70s - let alone what might be out there today.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

It's a way to keep the corporations separate - the religion form the publisher.

I leave speculation as to why this is important to my betters...

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Since you're still in, why don't you ask one of the power that be in the organization? Then you can come back and let all of us apostates know what's going on.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Very interesting. It most definitely is a legal move.

My guess would be that they have formed another "account" to protect funds from the pedophile protection and blood-ban-death lawsuits.

Also, don't know if this has anything to do with it... but the NGO card was to "Watchtower", not Jehovah's Witnesses. Perhaps they are keeping the "business dealings" away from the "religious" front. It really looks like a protect the monies move, whatever the reasoning.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Jamie Bowers, I'm not still in, I just went as an observer with my Family. My wife and Daughter deposited checks that were made out to Watchtower and then they were hunted down by one of the elders and told they had to change the Payee. I was disfellowshipped in March for Apostasy, because I believe Jesus is the only hope for salvation not the Watchtower Society. I also do not believe the Faithful slave teaching, nor do I believe the 2 class system or the 1914 Christ presence teaching. That's just to name just a few doctrines I no longer believe . seek2find

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another way to confuse the authorities. Many organizations have to do that to protect themselves from unjust persecution (the organizations threaten to undermine the government as the educate the public). However, Jehovah's Witlesses have never done a damn thing that actually helps people or sets them free from unfair rulers that only want to usurp control and money from people.

Either way, they are not getting another penny from me. So they can alter the name all they want, and they are not going to get anything more than a Void Check or a Zero Dollar Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit