"Knocking" DVD free for schools?

by Gayle 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

If your child is in middle or high school, please contact his teacher or school administrator to request that his school participate in the "Community Classroom" program sponsored by PBS and the Independent Television Service.

KNOCKING was selected for "Community Classroom" and will be offered to public schools across the United States for free.

The story lines in KNOCKING have been developed into a curriculum with supporting video modules from the film. Educational content was created with guidance from the National Council for the Social Studies, the National Association for Multicultural Education and PBS Teachers. The content will use the story of Jehovah's Witnesses to educate students on civil liberties, religious tolerance, medical ethics and standing for what you believe.

For more information about how your child's school can participate, please visit this link:
    http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/classroom/knocking.html

To request a free copy of the video modules and educational materials, contact [email protected] (Be sure to mention KNOCKING in your correspondence)

You may want to bring this to your teacher's attention now, in the final weeks of the school year, and remind him again in the fall.

FYI: The free DVD only has short segments from the film, each under 10 minutes long, that correspond with the educational curriculum to facilitate classroom discussion.

To order the film in its entirety, go to www.knocking.org
    KNOCKING is also available in Spanish at www.llamando.org

Please forward this information.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Are my tax dollars being spent to promote cults to children??

• horrible life
    horrible life

When did they rescinded Separation of Church and State?

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

UGH! I was hoping this was a joke but after visiting that link I see it clearly is not. Partial copy and paste from the site:

-----------------------------------------------
    “Riveting and illuminating. KNOCKING takes us inside the world of Jehovah’s Witnesses in a way that is utterly surprising and moving."
    —Anderson Cooper, CNN

KNOCKING opens the door on Jehovah's Witnesses. They are moral conservatives who stay out of politics and the Culture War, but they won a record number of court cases expanding freedom for everyone. They refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds, but they embrace the science behind bloodless surgery. In Nazi Germany, they could fight for Hitler or go to the concentration camps. They chose the camps. Following two families who stand firm for their controversial and misunderstood Christian faith, KNOCKING reveals how one unlikely religion helped to shape history beyond the doorstep.

About ITVS Community Classroom
    ITVS Community Classroom is an educational resource providing new documentary video content and accompanying curricular materials, lesson plans and homework assignments to high school and community college instructors and youth-serving community-based organizations. Content is grouped into subject -specific segments that correspond to lesson plans and educational activities. All CLASSROOM materials are designed with key education standards in mind.

Educational content was developed with guidance from the ITVS CLASSROOM National Advisors: PBS Teachers, the National Council of Churches, American Association of Community Colleges, 4-H, National Council for the Social Studies and National Council of Teachers of English.
    -----------------------------------------------

Anyone with a child in middle or high school, please contact the teacher or school administrator to request that the school NOT participate in this! I am surprised and sickened that this could be showing up in schools and presented in this way. How is that possible, in public schools?? I had no idea about this, thank you for posting this information Gayle.

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

I emailed [email protected] and filled out the online form (http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/aboutsite_emailform.html) asking them to reconsider offering this DVD to schools. I hope they stop immediately! -IMM

• hubert
    hubert

bttt

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

OMG!!!

I received the same email message this morning from " [email protected]"!

Do you think that the WTS is donating money to PBS, in order to have "positive" information about them spreading out???

TTRP

• carla
    carla

If they are going to show that in public schools they damn well better show the other videos available showing what the wt is really about!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit