Moses wrote of his own DEATH? WHAT!

by annalice 7 Replies latest jw friends

• annalice
    annalice

Ok so if Moses wrote the first 5 books of the bible how did he write in the last book on the last page the whole description of his death?

• joebin
    joebin

LOL...nice one.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I think the WTS explanation is that Joshua wrote a small part of the Torah.

A couple of good books by Richard Elliott Friedman:

The Bible with Sources Revealed (excellent for seeing the evidence behind the documentary hypothesis, a topic skirted by the WTS)

The Hidden Book of the Bible (very, very interesting, if you happen to be into this sort of thing)

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

It's simple, dummy. He was just writing down what Jehober said!

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

DoomVoyager: It's simple, dummy. He was just writing down what Jehober said!

That part of the dictation must have been a real awkward moment.

We can only imagine... imagine..... imagine........

Jehovah: "And then Moses the servant of God died at the order of Jehovah--"

Moses: Sorry? Come again?

Jehovah: Um, yeah. I didn't really know how to break it to you... I hope we're still cool.

Moses: Oh, sure, real fxxking cool!

• VM44
    VM44

"I think the WTS explanation is that Joshua wrote a small part of the Torah."

And how would the Watchtower doesn't know that?

A bunch of men sitting at typewriters making up answers that sound good.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

"And no one knows his burial place until this day."

This was obviously written after the fact, possibly long after it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

kurtbethel....That phrase doesn't just occur there, see also "until this day" in 3:14 and "at that time" in 2:34, 3:4, 8, 12, 18, 21, 23, which similarly points to the writer's standpoint being remote from the putative time of Moses. Also notice the use of the phrase "beyond the Jordan" (b'br h-yrdn) for the country east of the Jordan in 1:1, 5; 3:8; 4:41, 46, 47, 49, exactly as in Joshua 2:10, 7:7, 9:10, Judges 5:17, 10:8, etc., which shows that the author was a resident of western Judah. Of course, in terms of the narrative of Joshua, Moses had already died by the time the Israelites crossed the Jordan River into the land of Canaan to the west.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit