JW membership turnover - a real-life study

by besty 51 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

Much has been commented here on how JW's rely on an ever-changing membership for keeping their 'the sky is falling, the world is ending' doctrine fresh.

Recently it was posted that fully 2/3 of born-in JW's leave at some point, and I thought you might like to see how this works in practice.

So lets take Sam and I and our extended families - we were both born and brought up JW's.

Start with me. Mum and Dad were converted in the 1950's. Two children - my brother Andrew and I brought up as JW's. Dad has now passed on and Mum is early 70's. Andrew and his wife Emma remain JW's but have no children and being late 30's early 40's are a self-declared childless couple. So the JW line dies with them. Sam and I have 2 children and - yes -you've guessed - we are not JW and neither will our children be JW. Current active JW's 3 - average age 53 - future generations - 0.

Lets take my wife Sam. Brought up a JW with one sister Gemma. Sam's Dad Gerry was a convert and her Mum Kathy and her sister Rosalind were brought up in a divided household. So Sam was a 3rd generation JW. Rosalind and her husband (Elder PO) split up and the resultant 2 children (Sam's 1st cousins) both left the JW's and Rosalind and ex-husband are effectively gone. Sams sister Gemma also left the JW's shortly after starting a university education. Current active JW's 2 - average age 63 - future generations - 0.

Finally my sister in law Emma. I have counted Emma above so wion't include her in the figures below. She was also brought up a JW with one sister Lorna. Both parents still nominal JW's with the Mum bedridden with ME and active elder father. Lorna mentally ill but nominally active. Current active JW's - impossible to say but realistically 1 and 2 irregular/incapables - average age 55 - future generations - 0.

So let me summarise:

1960's - approx. 11 active JW's

1970's - approx. 11 active JW's + 8 children

1980's - approx. 12 active JW's + 6 children

1990's - approx 10 active JW's

2000's - approx. 5 active JW's (and thats giving some of them the benefit of the doubt) with a big fat ZERO in the pipeline

So you can see there was a golden age for my family in the '70's and 80's when 20 or so were bulking up the numbers - if it had been an attractive organisation that encouraged marriage and children there could have been 30 or 40 of us all at the meetings today.

But that would be missing the point - the point is the WTS don't care who the individuals are - so long as the NUMBERS are there the faces don't matter.

Thanks for reading.

Its Friday night in LA, Saturday night in New Zealand and Saturday morning in London. Happy days.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

This is what happens when I go out for the evening.

Besty's ruminations over a JD and coke.

Nice one honey.

It gives me great satisfaction to know that at least out of 4 families of witnesses there will be no more witnesses in the future. There is hope after all.

• llbh
    llbh

Hey i notice your Sam's avatar say's she is in the Uk and Paul's the US, so to here you guuys are no longer together - joke

Hope you are having a good time

David

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Thanks for sharing, besty. I also find the "not bearing kids this side of Ahm-a-gettin" couples intriguing; for all their zeal, who'll continue their line? What's there to pass on? And 40 years from now, when they're all 70-80, how're they gonna feel?

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Ok, it is now almost 2 AM in california and I have had about 3 hours of sleep in 56. But I can still follow your idea and I think it is pretty accurate.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Ooohh interesting. Thanks. No one has left in my family. Many are remaining childless though. So sad.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They do have a large turn over number, the problems come home to roost as members vote with their feet versus their foolish policies, stern authoritarianism in the democratic western world of the 21st century, never ending deception and manipulation, the inability to offer real solutions rather than constantly criticise, the excessive demands and lack of real support, the very harsh excommunication policy, the hopelessly muddled blood policy.

All in all it's an org that demands a great deal and offers basically nothing of value in return.

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

Hi Besty nice to hear from you, how are things going in sunny LA?

Thanks for starting an intersting thread.

Here is my own JW generation tree.

Myself, I became a JW in the early nineties, no family are JW's and never will be. So I'll base this on my wife's
    experience.

Her parents became JW's in the late 60's brought up 6 children.

Father active JW, passed away. Mother current active JW.
    Current active JW = 1, Average age 64,

Eldest son left in his late teens, has children
    but none are JW's . Future generations = 0

Out of her five sisters the eldest is a missionary, married mid 40's - unlikely to have kids.
    Current Active JW's = 2, Average age 44, Future generation = 0

sister#2 - Married, both active JW's with 3 kids
    Current Active JW's = 2, Average age 41, Future generation = possibly 3

sister#3 - active JW, unmarried and likley to remain unmarried and childless (I blame the organisation for this
    as she pioneered during the best days of her life and gave up everything for them!!)
    Current Active JW = 1 Average age 39, Future generation = 0

sister#4 - My wife, married, one child due in 3 weeks!! Both active faders ;-). Our children will not be brought
    up as JW's.
    Current Active = 0 Average age 35, Future generation = 0

sister#5 - disfellowshipped no interest in JW's, baby on the way, doubt it will be brought up as JW, although may
    attend the odd meeting with grandma.
    Current Active = 0 Average age 23, Future generation = 0

The future looks bleak if they are going to rely on families for future numbers, whilst they actively discourage
    marriage (whether in or out of the org), and in having children. How short sighted!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, they lost my support. They also lost any support that any children I would have borne had they allowed me the opportunity to attract the opposite sex would have given them, too. As I see it, that puts them down at least 4 or 5 potential members.

And I hope I have a share in making that 500 or 1,000 members down.

• chickpea
    chickpea

very interesting breakdown....

makes it so realistic to understand the churn when applying that strategy to any given congregation......

we came in with 2 kids.... left with 4 and NONE of them will ever cross a KH threshold again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit