Book: A People for His Name by Timothy White

by CatholicGuy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

One of the best histories of Jehovah's Witnesses is the book _A People for His Name_ by Timothy White, published by Vantage Press in 1967. The book had a very small printing and as far as I know was never republished. At the time of its writing the author was a JW in good standing. M. James Penton gives White high marks in _Apocalypse Delayed_.

My information is that the name Timothy White was a pseudonym and the last place I have for the author was in Bend, Oregon. Anyone know if the author is still alive and how to contact him? The book deserves to be re-printed even if it is a bit dated.

CatholicGuy

not my webpage but a favorite:
    http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

• RR
    RR

I know White's true identity. He was alive a few years ago, and believe he is now an athiest!

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

That was my understanding as well. When he wrote _A People for His Name_ he seemed favorable to the Bible Students. The book has some of the best historical info on the JWs...it's too bad it has only had a sparse circulation.

I was told the name Timothy White was chosen because TW matched his first initials (using a less formal first name). At any rate, TW is not listed in the Bend, Oregon directories any longer (he was a professor at Central Oregon College.) Anyone know his present whereabouts? Perhaps we could get his permission to put the book up on the web?

CatholicGuy

• Princess
    Princess

My husband borrowed that book from a friend but it was just copied on a copier. Have you a real copy? Any idea how to get one? He'd love to have one.

Princess

• RR
    RR

I have a personal copy. I saw one go on ebay once, and it did fetch a pretty penny. That was the only time I saw it. It's a rare find indeed.

• TD
    TD

I found a copy in very fine condition at a local bookstore three years ago.

A piddling $495.00 and it could have been mine.....

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

The copy I had I sold long ago...way before ebay. My understanding is that only a couple hundred copies were ever printed. I have a real clear photocopy that I had bound. I once corresponded with Commentary Press about re-publishing it and sent them a photocopy of the book. They seemed interested initially in re-publishing it but I haven't heard anything from them in many years about the idea.

TW was listed in Bend, Oregon for many years. I never did follow through on trying to contact him until last year and then I found he is no longer listed by directory assistance (not even as non-published). Could he have moved? Is he still alive? Anyone know?

CatholicGuy

• VM44
    VM44

I would be glad to see "A People For His Name" republished, perhaps even put up
    on the Web somewhere.

There IS a "T. White" listing for Bend, OR.
    You can find it using the Yahoo People Search page.

Perhaps this is the Timothy White you are looking for?

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

RR, can you share his real name?

• RR
    RR

It was given to me some years ago with the intentions that I not reveal it, as the man wants his privacy, which is why he wrote the book under an assumed name.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember it, and I don't have the data in front of me, sorry!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit