Movie Comparisons

by lancelink 5 Replies latest jw friends

• lancelink
    lancelink

Several days ago I was watching the movie The Shawshank Redemption and I really got to thinking how much this movie ties in with people who are JW’s, and deciding what to do with their life.
    I was discussing this point with my wife tonight, and it was quite shocking how many people we knew/know who fit into one of these categories. Here they are,

Andy: People who have been in the organization for years and finally look at things realistically and decide to get out. They might have to break thru walls, and swim in a river of crap to get out, but they don't let anything stop them until they do get totally out. And they are better, and happier because of this decision.

Red: some people who have been in for years, and finally wake up and decide to do something positive to better themselves. Also they don’t cut corners either, or take any garbage from anyone; after years they finally stand up for themselves and are better people because of it.

And then there is Brooks, people like this cannot figure out how to live outside the organization. They have been a part of it for so long that the lifestyle is all they know.
    They have the worst time moving on and doing something with their life outside of the JW mindset.

The sisters: People like this usually go totally off the deep end, morals, and standards of any kind no longer matter. And they don’t care who they affect. I’ve seen this happen usually to elders children in different halls over the years.

And finally the warden: there has always been one in every congregation that I attended.
    Iron-fisted discipline, and dam you if you don’t agree with what they say. You will obey!

• StAnn
    StAnn

You're quite right. This is a good comparison. And notice Brooks killed himself rather than learn to adapt to a new world.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Great one. Isn't that the truth.

I've got another movie comparo to JWs, for another time though.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I've got another movie comparo to JWs, for another time though.

Happy Feet perhaps? Seriously, check it out.

You are right about the Shawshank redemption. A great film.

• wings
    wings

M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village".

A few created a deception for the "good of the people", protect it with fear, lace it with kindness, raise the children with no choice but to believe the deception as reality. A deception created for any reason, is still a deception. A lie disguised as truth.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This may explain why I enjoyed The Village and The Shawshank Redemption so much. Interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit