How could an ex-Jw become Catholic

by My Struggle 54 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I too have seemed to notice that the Catholic Church is more universalist than what the Watchtower would have us believe.

I dont believe there is any one true religion, not the Catholic Church and not even mine.

Catholics for the most part have the freedom to speak out against their church on matters of conscience, unlike the JW Cult.

We baptists have even been known to speak out against baptist churches every once in a while.

There is a much more sanctimonious tone to the JW rhetoric--"We have the truth" "We're not like those churches of Christendom" and so on.

You will seldom hear anyone knock the society from the platform, however even in my church we have been critical of our own denomination,even from the pulpit.

We cherish our freedom of speech and even if our church main denomination started imposing itself on us, we wouldnt tolerate it, we would withdraw, as most of the FWB churches would.

That is the difference in being in a church and being in a Cult.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

An earlier post pointed out how the Bible came out of the early church, not the other way around. I have had various Catholics try to explain it to me. The local orthodox parish has an explanation that rather makes sense to me in the place I am in right now. (On this topic, in any case). I am quoting from St. Andrews Antiochan Orthodox Church's website:

http://www.standrew-parish.org/new/orthodoxy.htm

"While the Church has had its fair share of problems rooted in human sinfulness, it never allowed its teachings to be corrupted in the manner that happened in the western church in the centuries before the Reformation, and thus it didn't need to be reformed and didn't suffer the tremendous loss of tradition that the western church did during that time.

"Scripture Alone" may sound like a good concept, and it certainly helped rally the reformers around something concrete in purging some of the worst excesses of the Roman Church, but it unfortunately misses the point. It was the Church that was to succeed Christ on Earth, and it was the Church that was to carry His teaching to the corners of the world. "Scripture Alone" raises the New Testament to a level of authority that it was never intended to have. Instead of being seen as a collection of texts that was a best (never was it seen as perfect) record of God's Revelation, in the teaching of the Reformation it was allowed to replace the Church as the main legacy of Christ.

Through Tradition the Christian Faith could be made accessible to everyone, not just those who were capable of reading, Christianity was from the very beginning a faith for everyone, slave and free man alike. The Bible is a human record of the Divine Revelation, but (though inspired by Him) it is not written by God, nor is it possible to interpret it without the context that Tradition provides: the New Testament was assembled by people who assumed that a lot of things were common knowledge and didn't need further explanation or elaboration."

Not to say this answers all questions of spirituality, but it may go a long way to explain the traditions of the church as being something acceptable to a reasoning and thinking person who DOES care about what the Bible says, but puts value on millenia long tradition for valid reasons.

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

I haven't published a conversion story yet on any web site. I've given an in-progress one to a few friends, but have been working on how to tell the story concisely and correctly. I still have a lot to learn, but I may have a brief telling of the story before too long.

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

Seeker4

Was that in New Haven, CT in July of 1980? I think I gave the keynote address at that convention. Shortly after that convention, we left Bethel and that was the end of that. Never spoke at a District Assembly again. Don't miss 'em. Are you still in New England?

• Tom Cabeen
    Tom Cabeen

To CoffeeBlack:

Hi Deb!

I am having to get used to seeing male icons for females and vise versa. I like your suit. Hope you are doing well.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The church has more places for more people. Different kinds of monasteries, nunneries, all kinds of outreaches to help disadvantaged of all kinds. And, they don't ask much, in return, many times, nothing. True, most catholics are not very religious. I don't blame the church for that. Should the church punish people for that? The church is there for them, if they should need. Jesus is portrayed like that. If people want to go deep, as tom pointed out, there is a lot of deapth in that church. Yes, they did make the bible. Christianity was never meant to be totally bible governed. The bible was merely one support, the church being the other. Sola scriptura was a protestant invention.

S

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Hey Tom....glad you like the suit... My avatar changes from time to time... this one is a picture of my son... who will be a new dad in March! Time flies, doesn't it?

Great to see you posting here...look forward to more!

Coffee

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I haven't published a conversion story yet on any web site. I've given an in-progress one to a few friends, but have been working on how to tell the story concisely and correctly. I still have a lot to learn, but I may have a brief telling of the story before too long.

Well than I shall keep my eye open for it. I would be most interested to read it.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Tom, I'm still in New England - up here in Vermont. I've never been to a DC in CT. Most were in MA (Springfield or Amherst) or Maine (Portland), one or two in NH way back, a few in Canada and one in Rhode Island and one in NY.

Coffee Black - Nice new avatar. Do you have something to tell us??

S4

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

We went to a Catholic Mass for a funeral a few months ago and I was impressed with the services. It was a lot of praying, singing and renumerating of the promises that Jesus made to his followers. Not too long after that I went to my neighbors church to watch their kids in the Christmas play. (Assembly of God) I was completely turned off. It reminded me of attending a KH. The inside looked just like one. The preacher was the sort that tried to look at you until you looked away. Which I didn't. Tons of asking for donations and the participants weekly tithe. Afterwards, the congregation was cold and unfriendly. If I was looking for a church, which I am not, I would be much more prone to attend the Catholic Church. Just a side note, at least in the Catholic Church, there is plenty to look at to if you get bored of the sermon.

Sheri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit