Death and the ex JW

by Layla33 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Layla33
    Layla33

Many of you know that my catalyst for writing on this board for the first time was a death of someone very near and dear to me in my family. I am still dealing with the affect effects. I am still a bit numb, writing here does help. Maybe because it was the first time I had set foot in a KH in about eight years, it brought back a lot of things. One thing that stood out in my mind was a statement an inactive JW family member made to me. He said, "I think the reason why so many of us are so shaken up is that we truly aren't prepared to deal with death. We were raised that the New Order would be here and we wouldn't have to die". I realized for the first time why I was so traumatized and devastated. No real death preparation, even though I had some educational intellectual experience, personally, there was a disconnect. How do many of you reconcile death now that you are no longer with the JW religion? How do you deal with going to the funerals of the JWs? I was sitting there just completely broken up and on top of it the entire "Memorial" was just strange. All the practicing JWs want to be cremated, which is a personal choice, but the entire sermon made absolutely no sense to me. First, they say the dead are conscious of nothing at all and that dust returns to dust. Okay, got that. Then twenty minutes later you are writing how they will be resurrected and conscious? And then criticizing those that believe in heaven and the like? I just closed my eyes and remembered all the good times I shared with my family member and drowned out the hypocrisy, but I must admit this week or so has been hard. Can anyone else relate to what I am speaking about?

• Honesty
    Honesty

We definitely can relate.

The JW's have it soooo wrong.

I know without a doubt where I am going when I die.

When I was a JW I always hoped the NEW SYTEM would get here before I died. Now it doesn't matter.

• changeling
    changeling

I dread the day my parents die because I will have to go to their witness funeral. I've heard the funeral talk many times. It's all about witnessing to wordly family members and not at all about the deceased.

Since fading, I have thought a lot about what I'd like to happen at my funeral. I never gave it a thought as a witness.

changeling

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I honestly haven't had the stomach to go to witness funerals - I will go when my witness gran dies - she is currently very old - that is the first one I will go too - how I will react I don't know - my mom and myself might organise a funeral outside of the witnesses if we can but I know they will still do a talk.

The ones I had been too - ja they don't remember the person at all - they carry on their indoctrination as before.

As for my beliefs now - I do believe our journey doesn't end with death, it's just another journey we'll have to take. I have found peace in that. No more wishing for a paradise earth that will never come, no more being lied too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit