Religious Sexism

by Judith 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Judith
    Judith

I attended college for the first time at age 46 after quietly walking away from the JW's. I really wanted my children to go to college and thought my going would inspire them. By the way, it worked. They have all graduated.

Here is a paper I handed in for my Sociolgy of Religion course.

MARTHA AND HER HUSBAND

Having engrossed myself in the latest religious magazine, I failed to notice the emptiness of the toilet-paper-holder as I sat and read. Unpon discovering this error on my part, I prayed to God, realizing this was his punishment for my sloth; taking my leisure on the toilet when I could be doing more productive things for the benefit of God and to praise and honor Him. Filled with shame, I called Martha up to amend my situation, and having it thus amended, together we prayed to ask His forgiveness.

A most peculiar incident. Martha excused herself from the morning bible reading after we had just begun. She claimed her intention was to wash the breakfast dishes so they would not sit in the sink all day. So what if they were to remain in the sink all day? What of it? Is it not more important to read our bible study ? I am curious and will watch her closely.

It is now afternoon and I am worried about Martha. I suppose that I should not let my personal feelings interfere in doing what is proper and good in the eyes of God. I shall tell of what caused my concerns. I arrived in the kitchen for my noon meal only to discover that none had been prepared. I questioned Martha over the absence of food and she answered, quite angrily, that she "just didn't feel like it." I reminded her of how we were all put on this earth for a purpose, and how woman's purpose was to serve her man. Martha appeared even more distressed. I begged her to accompany me in prayer for guidance from our God, but she refused. She then stormed off and proceeded to sulk in her bedroom. I, myself, prayed for guidance but haven't received an answer as of yet.

It is now late afternoon and Martha's cat, Jezebel, was sharpening her claws upon the sofa. I called out for it to stop but the beast continued. I arose to strike it away and Martha cried out against me. I was shocked, a woman admonishing her husband? The cat ran off

I won't bother to bore you any further with this story for it goes on and on. Religious sexism must have been on my mind as I sat at the Kingdom Hall week after week, year after year. Watching the men lord it over the women and being told that was our place. No wonder so many of the Witness women are depressed. They have to live with the boot of a man on their necks. Not just their husband but all of the rulers at the Kingdom Hall.

I remember one talk that was on battering of women. The brother gave all the details of battered women and then he made a statement that started a huge laugh from my feet to my head. I had to get up and run to the bathroom because of the laughter. The statement that made me laugh (laughing at the stupidity of the statement that is) "Can you believe brothers and sisters, that there are some women who actually hit their husbands." All the while he was shaking his head as he made that statement. Yet he calmly talked of the women who were being battered by their husbands. RELIGIOUS SEXISM

• Sirona
    Sirona

Welcome Judith

I agree that there is a lot of religious sexism. Thats part of the reason I like to think of a Goddess and a God, rather than just a "male" god like the bible says.

Sirona

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Judith!

Having engrossed myself in the latest religious magazine, I failed to notice the emptiness of the toilet-paper-holder as I sat and read. Unpon discovering this error on my part, I prayed to God,

I would suggest that god put the answer to your dilemma in your hands but you failed to grasp the true value of the magazines.

Congratulations of the success of your graduated kids! You done good!

• Judith
    Judith

Nathan Natas

Thanks for the laugh. I didn't think of the "proper use" of the magazine at that time.

And thanks for the compliment on the kids. One aeronautical engineer, one restaurant manager, one artist.

Good thing I was the rebel JW.

• Missie Eff
    Missie Eff

Why do you think that "they" won't allow women to wear trousers to the meetings - even field service?

I was a JW for years and it baffled me why the sisters resorted to wearing leggins (a type of trouser) under their skirts on cold days. Why not just wear trousers - common sense told me that they would be both feminine and warm.

But no, this whole male dominence over female had to prevail. To have worn the trousers literally would have been seen as a usurption of authortity: a symbolic wearing of the trousers.

I have a real problem with men now. It has taken me a few years to actually like them again. Not all men are the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit