The New York Dolls

by Dagney 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Any fans?

On Sundance Channel there is a documentary on the Dolls, primarily on Arthur Kane, the bassist. He became a Mormon after hitting rock bottom in the '90's.

What I found interesting is when Arthur was invited to play a reunion gig in '04, his local Mormon bishop and friends got money together to get his guitar out of hock and they helped him get on his way. They were happy for the opportunity for Arthur to play with his old band and wished him well. I could not help but think if this situation happened with JW's, they would no way be supportive, in fact they would discourage him from any contact with his former friends, unless it would be to preach to them.

Anyway, it is a good documentary, and an interesting bit of music history. Quite fun.

Edited to add: LOL...the name of the show is "New York Doll."

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree, it's a must see for any rock fan

• 4mylove
    4mylove

Good documentary! Saw it a while back.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"They were happy for the opportunity for Arthur to play with his old band and wished him well. I could not help but think if this situation happened with JW's, they would no way be supportive, in fact they would discourage him from any contact with his former friends, unless it would be to preach to them."

True dat.

The Mormons may be a cult, but they will always be a much more successful cult, with much more successful people, than JW's. They encourage education and achievement. The "glue" that holds their members in, despite such completely whacked out beliefs, is creating a lot of "spiritual" experiences, rather than using extreme fear and authoritarianism to own their members. Or at least that's what I've seen in my limited experiences with Mormon friends and acquaintances.

That documentary sounds interesting, I'll try to catch it.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I remember several times various witness shepards telling me not to be playing music in bands. I should be at the meetings and in field circus. And the end was coming shortly in 75 and I was pissing jehober off by plaing music in 72. And if I didn stop the earth my swallow me up durnig the Big A in 75. Just like in the pink Paradise book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit