Most avoided Bible verse and biggest misconception of Christians????

by whyizit 5 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

A friend asked me today what I think is possibly the biggest misconception that JWs have about Christians in general and what Bible verse did I think was avoided most by the WTS and why.

Besides the idea that all churches are after is your money: based on my friendship with a JW, I would say that the WTS leads its followers to think your average church spends a huge amount of time and energy trying to discredit the WTS. She seems to think they have little printing rooms with employees, whose sole purpose is to print apostate materials about the WT and anonymously mail it off to JW family and friends. That they spend a large amount of time in the pulpit warning everyone not to answer a JWs knock and to slam the door on them once you know it is a JW. (Where does she get this stuff?? Do they really think that??)

Romans 8:9 is the verse I have heard that many former JWs found quite intriguing. (Not only is there a Spirit of Christ, but that no one can belong to him, unless they have it.)

That was my answer, based on my very limited knowledge of the WTS. I have never been on the inside, so I only know what I have read or heard from those who have.

What about it? What do you think is the most avoided Bible verse within the WTS, and why?

What do you think is the biggest misconception WTS believe about Christians and churches?

• Honesty
    Honesty

That verse is so powerful.

I was saved the night I read Romans 8:8-11 in the New World Translation and then looked at it in the Holman Bible.

New World Translation

So those who are in harmony with the flesh cannot please God.

However, YOU are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in YOU. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him.

But if Christ is in union with YOU, the body indeed is dead on account of sin, but the spirit is life on account of righteousness.

If, now, the spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in YOU, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also make YOUR mortal bodies alive through his spirit that resides in YOU.

Holman Bible:

Those whose lives are in the flesh are unable to please God.

You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you.

But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Now if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will also bring your mortal bodies to life through His Spirit who lives in you.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    I have found that the JWs have answers for all the 'difficult' verses which clearly do not tie up with their beliefs. The biggest problem is the NWT which has many pertinent verses relating to Jesus changed such as John 1:1, verses where Jesus was worshipped etc. No coincidence as the Bible says that He is the only way into the Kingdom Of God.

Other verses relating to the Holy Spirit such as Gen 1:2 and all the references in John which clearly state the Spirit is a person by use of the word 'he', 'him' and 'whom' and all changed in the NWT.

Also, the NWT is being revised as time progresses and gets worse each time.

Verses about the gifts of the Spirit and speaking in tongues much be puzzling to anyone who is half curious?

Having a read, the whole of John 14 must be pretty hard to understand for a JW?

Jesus the Way to the Father

5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
    6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit

15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

Regards,
    Stephen

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." Matthew 21:22

All the bible thumpers of all faiths ignore this verse. If they would just meditate on that scripture the house of cards would collapse before their very eyes.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

John 3:16 and the verses in revelation about altering the bible. I asked my jw bud about altering the bible and his answer was "how can you tell which one is more accurate". I said usually the one that is thousands of years old verses 125 (or so) years I would trust.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

There are, of course, a myriad. The most IMPORTANT, however, in relation to the WTBTS are John 14:6, as someone pointed out above, and:

"so that ANYONE may eat of it... and not die..." John 6:50 "if ANYONE eats of this bread he WILL LIVE FOREVER..." John 6:51 "UNLESS you eat the flesh of the Son of man AND drink his blood, YOU HAVE NO LIFE IN YOURSELVES." John 6:53 "He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood HAS EVERLASTING LIFE... and I SHALL resurrect him at the last day..." John 6:54

Actually, verses 35-59, but these particularly. You can understand why.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit