Faith vs. Reason- Watchtower "apostate" quote+refutation by atheist author

by nvrgnbk 38 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Your posts remind me of a butterfly circling and fluttering temptingly around the atheist, insect-eating, antitypical plant of false religion.

Be careful Flytrap. I am highly indigestible.

Nemo me impune lacessit.

Burn

• TD
    TD

Burn,

Maybe all ideas are viruses. Maybe the idea of atheism is also a virus of the mind.

To be fair, wasn't the author (And by extension, Dawkins) more than upfront on these two questions?

"Any idea or concept that is passed from person to person can be a meme, and the sum total of the memes in a given society forms what is usually referred to as culture. There are all sorts of memes: a meme can be as trivial a concept as an advertising slogan, a slang expression, a clothing style or a catchy musical refrain; or it can be as powerful and world-shaping an idea as democracy, freedom of speech, science, or God. The concept of the meme is itself a meme."

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Mrs. Witness (of the "I don't subscribe to any ism" class)

What's often overlooked when referring to atheism as an "ism" is that it's the "a" in atheism that's operative, the "ism" part belongs to "theism", IMO.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I am currently reading 'the God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, although It is necessary to use a dictionary as well as he is so verbose! I think I have a good vocabulary but I also know people who have given up on reading it because it's just too much like hard work.

Anyway, I am really enjoying it, still not a total atheist, but his points about organised religion are very good and very through provoking. He also talks about 'the flying spaghetti monster' which made me laugh as I thought that was a product of someone witty here on JWD.

Highly recommended.

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Ah, yes, my dear nvr, but still, atheism is an "ism". I suppose, my anti "ism" stance could also be called an "ism", since, "ism" denotes a belief system, does it not? I just have not formalized my group yet... I'm on my way now to look for followers. I have a pamphelt I'll be giving out door-to-door.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I suppose, my anti "ism" stance could also be called an "ism", since, "ism" denotes a belief system, does it not?

Precisely!

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness
    I suppose, my anti "ism" stance could also be called an "ism", since, "ism" denotes a belief system, does it not?
    Precisely!

We're doomed, aren't we? :o)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Precisely!
    We're doomed, aren't we? :o)

Defeatism too?

LOL!

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I'm dealing with a hard core JW hubby...yes on some days I do subscribe to defeatism...some days optimism...other days pessimism...UGH, I give in, I am a victim of ISM's! They're everywhere!

Mrs. Witness (of the Sybil ISM class)

• eclipse
    eclipse
    This, then, should be the goal: not eliminating religion,
    but illuminating the tactics by which it commands obedience and discourages doubt,
    so that people can recognize these and reject them.

It is more important that we all make up our own minds, use reason to guide us, and do not passively rely on faith or authority than that we all be atheists.

Any theists / christians out there think that this statement is not reasonable?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit