How Would You Respond to This?

by Mrs. Witness 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I saw a hysterical Far Side comic yesterday at the dentist's office. It was the Blob family. Daddy Blob was looking out the window at two nicely dressed people walking towards their house. He yelled "Jehovah's Witnesses! Quick, pretend you're bean bag chairs!". It cracked me up.

When I got home, I shared what I had seen with Mr. Witness. At first he didn't laugh, but then he thought about it and did see how funny it was. He said "we call that 'home but hiding'". Then he said, and here's where I need opinions..."they're not saying 'No' to me..." implying they're saying no to his wonderful message.

I wanted to scream because this is like a mom telling her fat daughter that she's just chubby or her nerdy son that the girls don't know what they're missing. It sounded so much like something his mom had drilled into his head that I wanted to shake him! I was so disgusted, I didn't say anything.

What would you say?

• *summer*
    *summer*

Years of brainwashing!

I hear the exact same comment from my study conductor over and over again.

What they learn seems litterally etched on their brains.

I would not know what to say. It seems nothing can crack their shell:-(

*summer*

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The problem is that the Witlesses are being programmed to be closed minded. This has been going on most of their existence, and is stepping up now. They are told not to go to college. They are told that the Internet is bad. They will take TV programs that criticize the organization, even news articles, as lies. They have been told not to look at other religions' literature. They will not even talk to apostates that have questioned the organization and got wretched answers or none at all. They have been told not to study the Bible independently or in small groups or without using the Watchtower litter-ature. They have also been told not to independently research the validity of the Watchtower doctrines.

With all this, they do not trust anything that doesn't come from the Governing Body. Unless it comes from the Witchtower, they will not trust it. Editorials are lies. The news is lying (hence, business as usual for Witlesses once they are exposed for harboring pedophiles on mainstream news sources). You cannot tell them anything that clashes with their doctrine, for that would be independently studying the Bible or researching the doctrine. Obviously, the Witchtower litter-ature is not going to say anything damning about the organization, at least until it goes out of date.

At which point, they simply put out new litter-ature. And, they ask people to not believe what is in the old litter-ature. That is the Flash of New Light. When that happens, they are asked to disregard the Old Light. After that point, you can point out the information in the old litter-ature and they will simply disregard it. As I see it, every avenue of getting these people to see that they are not in the truth has been blocked by the leaders. And, I cannot see anyone that is totally entrenched to ever find their way out of a nefarious organization that has perfected the art of creating illusory "reality".

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It might be fun for both of you to discuss it. "You said the other day that it is your message they are saying No to. Do you think they really know what your message is? [prove to him that they don't, since many don't even think JW's believe in Jesus] So what ARE they rejecting, since it isn't the message? They don't know you personally, so it isn't you. When someone you don't know comes to your door unannounced, what do you think?"

It might not lead anywhere, and it doesn't have to. It's just a discussion outside of his normal zone. It would be healthy, fun, and non-threatening.

Dave

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I'd suggest that's not something worth responding to. Cartoon strips and semantics are not things which will make a Witness think. They need to want to check things out for themselves, and you won't do anything to create that desire by attacking. Every time you go on the direct offensive, you may only strengthen the mental barriers.

This is only based on advice given to me (here), my experience and thoughts - I am no expert. I have a couple of books I want to read sometime: 'Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves' and 'Combating Cult Mind Control: The Number 1 Best-selling Guide to Protection, Rescue and Recovery from Destructive Cults', both by Steven Hassan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit