A few new heroes to me

by bebu 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

I live in Washington state, and my area was one that was hit hard by flooding. Not my own home, thankfully, but many nearby. We personally know several people who have lost their home, their car(s), their pets, their apartment, their everything. Some were stranded and had to be rescued. One elderly man who was swept away by a river, and is presumed dead, was the brother of one of our friends at church. My son's girlfriend's family lost almost everything they owned.

But I am learning now how heroic my friends and neighbors are. There's nothing like a disaster to see the heroic sacrifice of "ordinary" people. They are not "ordinary" to me. Nobody had to tell them what to do. They did not wait upon direction from elders or a publication to "discern" whether assisting others was something to consider. They snapped into action without hesitation.

Wayne: thanks for organizing boat rescues outside Chehalis

Verdelle: thanks for spearheading feeding the shelters nearby

Greg, Ben, Ken, Jeff, Andrew, Dan, Diane, Jessica, and on and on: thank you for the back-breaking labor of hauling debris and cleaning gutted homes.

Mike, Ginnie, Tara, John, and others: thanks for boarding massive numbers of people without a home.

Yeah. When I grow up, I really want to be like you guys.

bebu

• compound complex
    compound complex

bttt - testing

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Wow, Bebu, I didn't know you were from SW Washington. I'm glad your place was safe and that there is so much support there. I have heard the same, in fact a friend of mine from near there said that most of the big box stores are already back open and that driving through town it looks like nothing ever happened. I know there is still massive work to be done, but looks like massive work has already been done too.

I was amazed by that flood you guys had, I used to have a vacation place just southeast of you by Mayfield Lake, I've driven through there hundreds of times. It blew me away to see the pictures of the flood, it was massive. Seems bizarre that they built I-5 through a flood plain like that without raising it. Hopefully they learned something.

You are right about one thing, disasters seem to bring out the hero in people and it never fails to amaze me how people just roll up their sleeves and pitch in.

At the same time, it brings out the vultures too. I will never forget the looting in New Orleans, and when my brother had his fire they waited until the fire department sent him home and everyone cleared out and then came in and robbed him blind. For those types of people I have nothing but disgust.

Sherry

Sherry

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Bebu!

My 4th try at posting.

I'm glad that you're all right but am sorry for your less-fortunate neighbors.

What an relief to be freed from consulting a WTB&TS "how-to manual" and the elder necessary to explain the do-nots of a legalistic religion.

I have been accused of using bad judgment when doing good deeds outside Society-sanctioned parameters.

What a pity; I'll do it again and again!

Take care and be safe,

CoCo

• *summer*
    *summer*

Bebu...

Nice to read your own home did not suffer any damages. But so sad to hear about your neighbors that were touched:-(

We take so much for granted. One never knows when it may all be taken away:-(

There's nothing like a disaster to see the heroic sacrifice of "ordinary" people.

Yes...why is it that it takes a disaster to pull people together???

*summer*

• hubert
    hubert

Bebu, Thanks for the update.

I hope all these people have flood insurance. I don't know if they qualify for it, being in a "flood zone".

Sometimes these insurance companies can be "rats" like that. You pay for insurance, but they won't protect you against the things that would most likely occur.

It's so great to hear when everyone pitches in to help each other out in a disaster. I can see this happening in most places. I remember the "Blizzard of '78" here in New England, when neighbors with snowmobiles got people to hospitals, check on the elderly, made deliveries of gas, fuell and food to stranded homes, and dug their neighbors out. It's a good feeling to see "worldly" people react like this during disasters and emergencies. .

So sorry to hear all the bad news, too. And I know you, Bebu, you were out there helping too. You are already grown up.

Hubert

• bebu
    bebu
    It's so great to hear when everyone pitches in to help each other out in a disaster. I can see this happening in most places. I remember the "Blizzard of '78" here in New England, when neighbors with snowmobiles got people to hospitals, check on the elderly, made deliveries of gas, fuell and food to stranded homes, and dug their neighbors out. It's a good feeling to see "worldly" people react like this during disasters and emergencies. .

That's exactly what I mean! The government's been okay--but not as quick as the neighbors around here!

I know of people who have given up a ton of their time to do very hard, dirty work. They really made a difference between life and death.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit