Hermie, the the non-conformist elf......

by whyizit 4 Replies latest jw friends

• whyizit
    whyizit

Perhaps my interest in Mind Control has went into obsession now.

I was watching Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. I couldn't help but ponder poor Hermie the elf. Remember him? He's the elf that wanted to be a dentist. His elf leader and fellow elves gave him a big "shame on you", because he didn't want to make toys. He even tried to make dolls with teeth, so he could fit in somehow. It was a no go.

Interestingly enough, when he missed "elf practice", and the elves were singing for Santa, all of the sudden he was missed. Apparently he was a tenor and they needed him for the song to sound better.

This got me to thinking. I know that uniformity in the WTS (and other groups) is misconstrued as unity.

Unity is like a choir. In a choir, everyone is united, yet they are not all singing in the exact same key. Each person's voice brings something unique that makes everything sound richer and more beautiful than it would have without them. The differences are appreciated. They are needed.

Uniformity is expecting everyone to be exactly the same. Do the same thing, dress the same way, have the exact same thought patterns,......Cookie Cutter people.

This makes me wonder: How do JWs use their own specific talents and gifts, in spite of the WT? How did you maintain your own individuality, and did it upset fellow WT members? Or do most JWs just completely give up their talents and gifts, so they won't upset the apple cart?

• changeling
    changeling

Unity or uniformity, one of my favorite subjects!

I know many repressed, talented witnesses.

I know an elder who sold his trumpet because it distracted him from the ministry.

I know a dance instructor/choreographor who is extraordinarily talented and could easily have a had a succesful carrer in show business. Instead, he a runs a studio and is now saddled with the drudgerie of "business".

I know many young ones with beautiful voices who have just married young and settled down and always seem just a little bit "whistful".

I myself, have always been drawn to the theater. Who knows where I'd be now had I not been raised a witness?

So my advice to all is this: Be yourself. Follow your dreams.

Uniformity sucks.

changeling

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    whyizit wrote: This got me to thinking. I know that uniformity in the WTS (and other groups) is misconstrued as unity.
    Unity is like a choir. In a choir, everyone is united, yet they are not all singing in the exact same key. Each person's voice brings something unique that makes everything sound richer and more beautiful than it would have without them. The differences are appreciated. They are needed.
    Uniformity is expecting everyone to be exactly the same. Do the same thing, dress the same way, have the exact same thought patterns,......Cookie Cutter people.

A little lightbulb moment for me. I want to come back to this thread later.

Thanks for writing this. Very true.

-Aude.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I know someone who has a great talent for automotive wiring. It is a hard to understand trade with computer technology under the hood. He is flat broke. I really feel bad for him. He is totally dedicated to the society, and has no time for life. I wish some day he could see the light.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Uniformity, how very depressing it was. A desert wasteland. I am so happy I am out.

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit