The Rebuttal----

by TopHat 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• TopHat
    TopHat

While even one victim of child abuse is one too many, Jehovah's Witnesses wish to let the facts speak. In the United States, over 80,000 elders currently serve in over 12,300 congregations. During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States. In seven of these lawsuits against the elders, accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts. (Cause we paid them off) http://www.jw-media.org/index.html

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

here's what i said about that point in another thread.

wow that doesnt sound bad at all does it?

sued by individuals..maybe thats true.. the lawyers for the watchtower tickle our ears with cleverly worded statements... what does that fantastic number not include? accused? tried or convicted in court by cities or states? does that count men like Jesus Cano? does that include the alleged 23,000 accused molestors on file at Watchtower headquarteres in new york? does that include men like the recent elder in england that was convicted? Rick Mclean?

• flipper
    flipper

Like I was just saying on your double post of this thread on your other one, you are not including in those statistics the elders still engaging in this conduct who have not been discovered. The numbers would be a lot higher of elders who abuse children in the witnesses ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yeps! Sorry about the double post... Read my words at the end of the rebuttal (Cause we paid them off) my attempt at satire.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Yeps! Sorry about the double post... Read my words at the end of the rebuttal (Cause we paid them off) my attempt at satire.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States.

Would this be more correct if it read: "...sucessfully sued..."?

-Aude.

• tula
    tula
    (Cause we paid them off)

Here is one that would NOT be paid off and shut up and go home.

This is the price you pay for standing up for principle and trying to expose the gross wrongdoing.

That's why most end up "going with the program" (the pay-off)

http://atheism.about.com/b/2003/10/05/woman-sues-wins-must-pay-jws-legal-costs.htm

Woman Sues, Wins, Must Pay JW's Legal Costs

Vicki Boer, a Canadian woman, sued the Jehovah's Witnesses for negligence because of their poor handling of the sexual abuse she suffered between the ages 11 and 14 at the hands of her father. She won. Now she has to pay the Jehovah's Witness USD $142,000. What??

Apparently, she was offered a settlement that was greater than what she was finally awarded. That didn't bother her because she was more interested in the principle of holding the organization legally accountable - but it does mean that she has to pay all the legal costs incurred by both sides since the time she rejected the offer. The Brockville Recorder reports:

Boer's husband, Scott, said he didn't know if the family will appeal. "We've pretty much exhausted our finances pursuing the case this far, and now we're to the point where we simply couldn't afford an appeal," he said. "We going to simply have to accept the judgment and if we have to declare bankruptcy for a victory, then we have to declare bankruptcy."
    In the civil suit, Boer claimed that rather than immediately notify the Children's Aid Society, elders told her not to seek outside help or report the alleged abuse. She also said they made her confront her father to allow him to repent his sins in accordance with biblical principles. Boer said the confrontation was traumatizing and led to a rocky path in her adult life, which included a nervous breakdown and being ostracized by family, friends and other people in her southern Ontario community of Shelburne, about 100 kilometres northwest of Toronto.

The advice she received was stupid and negligent - that sort of advice is designed to let abusers and criminals go free rather than face the consequences of their actions. Only a sick organization, however, would take the money the courts say Boer owes them after a court found that they were indeed negligent and owed her money. If they had any moral scruples whatsoever, they would apologize for the stupid advice they gave, pay her the money she was awarded, and give up any claim to what she owes them. That would show courage and maturity.

Somehow, though, I doubt they will do it - I suspect that they are more interested in protecting their own interests than in doing the morally right thing.

read more.......

http://atheism.about.com/b/2003/10/05/woman-sues-wins-must-pay-jws-legal-costs.htm

• JK666
    JK666

The other fact notoriously omitted is that if a JW wants to remain in the congregation, they CANNOT sue! It doesn't mean that molestaion doesn't occur!

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit