bible version comparison...

by dungbeetle 0 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

This in response to a post on the main board...

* http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=14682&site=3

Society’s Bible’s…

(Matthew 18:11)
    NWT ——Omitted

Diaglott: He answering ,said, "Elijah indeed comes and will restore all things.(Footnote: Vatican Manuscript—11. He answering.)(Literal translation: Is come for the son of the man to save the having been lost)

Kingdom Interlinear: Omitted. (Footnote: This verse is omitted in the
    Westcott and Hort Greek Text.)

American Standard version: Omitted. (Footnote: many authorities, some
    ancient, insert verse 11 For the Son of man came to save that which is
    lost See Luke 19:10)

King James Version: For the Son of man came to save that which is lost.

My Diaglott is 1942; My ASV is 1929; my KJV has no date but I believe it is from the 1930’s. The Kingdom Interlinear is 1969. Just interesting comparing the Society’s own differing versions.

Jay P. Green Interlinear: For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost. (Literal rendering: is come for the Son of Man to save that which was lost.)

Luke 4:8

NWT: In reply Jesus said to him: "It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred
    service.’"

Diaglott; "And Jesus answering said to him, "It is written, ‘Thou shaltworship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.’"(Literal translation: And answering to him said the Jesus, "It is written "Thou shalt worship a Lord the God of Thee, and to him alone thou shalt render service.’"

Kingdom Interlinear: In reply Jesus said to him: "It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’"(Literal transation: And having answered the Jesus said to him It has been written Lord of God of you shall worship and to him alone you shall render sacred service.)

KJV: "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me Satan, for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord they God, and him only shalt thou serve.

ASV: And Jesus answered and said unto him, It is written, Thou shalt
    worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Jay P Green : And answering to him, Jesus said ‘Get behind Me Satan! For it has been written: You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve."(Literal translation: And answering to him said Jesus: Get behind Me Satan! It has been written For, You shall worship (the)Lord the God of you, and Him only you shall serve.

I will finish after I get more coffee.

John 8:9
    (I assume you are referring to chapter 8: 1-9…?)

NWT
    Omitted. (footnote: Manuscripts xBSys omit verse 53 to chapter 8, verse 11, which read (with some variations in the various Greek texts and versions) as follows:)

7:53..So they each went to his home.
    8:1; But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 At daybreak, however, he again presented himself at the temple and all the people began coming to him, and he sat down and bean to teach them. 3 Now the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught at adultery, and, after standing her in their midst, 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of committing adultery. 5 In the Law Moses prescribed for us to stone such sort of women. What really, do you say?” 6 Of course, they were saying this to put him to the test, in order to have something with which to accuse him. But Jesus bent down and began to write with his finger in the ground. 7 When they persisted in asking him, he straightened up and said to them: “Let the one of you that is sinless be the first to throw to throw a stone at her.” 8 And bending over again he kept on writing in the ground. 9 But those who heard this began going out, one by one, starting with the older men, and he was left alone, and the woman that was in their midst. 10 Straightening up, jesus said to her: “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” 11 She said: “No one, sir.” Jesus said: “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way; from now on practice sin no more.”

Diaglott:
    53 (And every one went to his own house;
    Chapter 8:1; but Jesus went to the MOUNT of OLIVES. 2 And in the Morning he came again to the TEMPLE and ALL the PEOPLE came to him, and having sat down, he taught them. 3 And the SCRIBES and the PHARISEES bring to him a Woman having been taken in Adultery; and placing her in the Midst; 4 they say to him, “Teacher, This WOMAN was taken in the very act, committing adultery. 5 Now, in the LAW, Moses comanded us to stone SUCH LIKE women; therefor, what dost thou say?” 6 But this they said, trying him, that they might have something of which to accuse him. But Jesus stooping down, wrote on the GROUND with his FINGER. 7 And when they continued asking him, rising up, he said to them, “He who is “WITHOUT SIN of you, let him first cast the stone at her.” 8 And again, stooping down, he wrote on the GROUND. 9 And THEY, HAVING HEARD, and being convinced by their CONSCIENCES, went out, one by one, beginning from the ELDERS, even to the LAST; and JESUS was left alone, and the woman standing in the Midst. 10 And Jesus raising up and seeing no one but the WOMAN, said to her, “WOMAN, where are those, thine accusers> Did no one condemn Thee?” 11 And she said, “No one, sir.” And JESUS said to her, “Neither do I condemn Thee; Go and sin no more.” (Literal translation of verse 9: They and having heard, and by the conscience being convinced, went out one by one, beginning from the elders even to the last ones; and left alone the Jesus, and the woman in middle standing.

Kingdom Interlinear: Omitted, with the same footnotes and pretty much the same wording as NWT except for: verse 9: But those who heard this began going out, one by one, starting with the older men, and he was left alone, and the woman that was in their midst. (literal rendering; The (ones) but having heard were going out, one down one having started from the older ones, and he was left down alone, also the woman in the midst being.

KJV: Included, pretty much same wording EXCEPT

Verse 6: This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down,and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

verse 9: And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

ASV: Completley omitted; (footnote; Most of the ancient authorities omit John 7:53 –8:11. Those which contain it vary much from each other)

Jay P Green: Included, with no footnote at all, with wording similar to the others, but of interest...

Verse 6: But they said this, tempting Him, that they may have reason to accuse Him. But bending down, Jesus wrote with the finger in the earth,not appearing to hear. (literal rendering: you, then, what say you? This But they said Tempting him, that they may have to accuse Him. But Jesus down stooping with the finger, wrote in the earth, not appearing [to hear]

Verse 9: But hearing, and being convictd by the conscience, they went out one by one, beginning from the older ones, until the last. And jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the middle.(literal rendering; And having heard, and by the conscience being convicted, went out, one by one, beginning from the older ones, until the last. And was left alone—Jesus, and the woman in the midst standing.

More infor on this particulat set of scriptures:
    * http://www.christiancourier.com/feature/january99.htm

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit