Thanksgiving Dinner: Helping in a Soup Kitchen?

by alias 4 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

Despite my upbringing in the JW world, missed opportunities, scarce childhood, no holidays, etc. etc. I have accomplished more in my life since my departure than some have in a lifetime. I have more than I'll ever need (not talkin' money here) from finding my passions and working hard loving what I do. I'm making ends meet in life enough to be able to reach out into the community for a few hours a week and do meaningful things that knocking on doors and selling a religion wrapped in 50-cent literature could never fill within or without for the benefit of others.

As a JW, it always bothered me that we could not help out in the community in a real hands-on way without being told a variation of "The truth will improve their lives more than a donation (or support, volunteering, aiding, etc.) to their cause will."

My JW family obviously doesn't share this overwhelming sense of thankfulness I have over a new lease on life outside the JW box and so turkey n' trimmings are not on the menu for this Thursday. Heck, I thought, if I can't enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with family, how about helping out in a place where that meal may be the highlight of the year for some who are down and out or finding their way at this chapter in their life?

I know I can't fix what's broken in the world, but I can be part of making someone else's life better at least for a few minutes, if only so they can forget their pain and enjoy a meal in the now. Last night I watched a show on the real history of Thanksgiving and was so moved by a soldier, now and old man, recount memories of sharing his ration of Thanksgiving dinner in the service with the orphaned children where he were stationed in one of the wars. He paused for moment and choked back tears over this sharing.

Has anyone here helped out in a soup kitchen, retirement center, or church event on Thanksgiving Day? Any advice as I begin paging through the phone book to make some calls tomorrow to where help may be needed?

Thank-FULL,

alias

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Mrs LoB and myself volunteer at several such facilities in the CNY area during the holiday season. We also Christmas gift shop, anonymously, for women and children that are in local Women's Shelters due to domestic violence. Your point about not being able to spend this time with family applies to us also.

We always come away with much more than we gave . . I am sure you will also, Enjoy!!

Peace \/

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Great idea... and I've always wanted to 'help' out also.

This year - conditions will allow my mother-in-law, my wife and I to 'host' a couple of trainees at the local Lackland AFB who have to stay through the Thanksgiving Holidays. We will pick them up on Thursday morning and will have them all day (2 of them - they only come in pairs), until that evening when we need to return them to base. To 'sign up' my m-i-l had to call the base and put her name on a list.

We are planning to have lots of food - chocolate - more chocolate - and other goodies for them to partake.

They aren't allowed to smoke, drink, or be out of uniform while they are visiting. (Shhh - we're going to allow them to put their feet up - if they want to.)

We are going to let them use our cell phones to call home and talk with their relatives for however long they need to.

We are also going to take their photos - and mail them to them later - on base - so they will have photos that they can keep - or send home to their parents/relatives.

It is a little - but hopefully it will be better than their having to spend a T-Day on base.

I'm really looking forward to this Thanksgiving Day.

Regards,

Jim TX

• zeroday
    zeroday

I have never helped out in a kitchen but I do give money to a local Rescue Mission...

• alias
    alias

Locutus of Borg,
    That is so generous of you and your wife. Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with this. You've given me more ideas!

Jim_TX,
    That is so cool, and no doubt the Lackland AFB treated by you will remember the experience for years to come, as well as you. Good for you!

zeroday,
    We have a local rescue mission and I was just looking at their Web site last night. Your funds are no doubt well-invested in helping out those who have another chance at getting on track.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit