Would the blood ban be lifted if more men were dying of blood loss?

by Gill 29 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Terry
    Terry

The blood ban stays in place because, intellectually, any relaxing of the rules automatically makes the Society culpable of manslaughter!

They can dilute and dilute their definitions and relegate their enforcements to the point of looking the other way. That is about it. But, saying they were wrong or misunderstood is not going to happen.

Statistically, there should be about 50,000 JW's who are affected each year by the blood transfusion policy.

That is one angry mob to contend with in case of retractions!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Hypothetically no, it would be too fracturing to the body of the organization, they progressively and constantly pursue viability as a mainstay

flip flopping on the blood issue at this stage of the game would intensionally put huge cracks in their power structure, since it's such a highly emotional issue.

and I'm quite confident their lawyers have told them of the legal ramifications of such kinds of suggestions if any.

Even if there were 2 or 3 thousand a year that died they would hold ground I'm sure, when all has been considered.

Sad but a true fact !

• steve2
    steve2

Only if they're really good-looking men....

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Gill:

I've said the same thing before:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/95472/1626937/post.ashx#1626937

One of the most dangerous complications of pregnancy is HELLP syndrome (Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, Low Platelet count), which can develop as a result of Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (PIH). If the patient's condition isn't caught and treated in time, she can end up with an almost always fatal condition known as Disseminated Intravascular Coagulopathy (DIC). Patients with this condition require complete replacement of their blood volume. I've nursed patients after they have been in ICU with this condition who have needed over 20 units of blood transfused to get them stabilized and save their lives. In a case like this, bloodless therapy would be useless because the patient's own blood is being destroyed by the disease process very rapidly, it no longer has the ability to supply oxygen to the brain and vital organs, and the patient goes into shock and dies.

This is a perfect example (to me at least) of how poorly the WTS values the lives of women. Men don't get HELLP syndrome. Men don't die of HELLP syndrome. More men are affected by potentially life-threatening diseases like hemophilia - and guess what - clotting factors to treat hemophilia were the first blood fractions that were approved by the WTS for JWs to use as a Matter of Conscience™. You can bet your bottom dollar that if MEN, instead of women, were dying of HELLP syndrome, the WTS would repeal its oppressive ban on blood transfusions to save the lives of their Brothers™, Elders™, Ministerial Servants™, Circuit and District Overseers™, and Bethelites™. But since it only affects women, they don't really give a $h!t.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/103643/1796198/post.ashx#1796198

notice how the blood policy mostly kills women and children?

How quickly do you think they would reverse the policy if the victims were usually self-important, heartless, old coots.

sphere, you are soooo right!

I don't think it's a coincidence that clotting factors that are used to treat hemophilia were the very first blood fractions that the WTS gave its blessing for JWs to use. The incidence for hemophilia is 1:7500 for males and 1:25,000,000 for females. That means for each female with hemophilia, there are over 3,000 males who are affected. About 17,000 people in the US have hemophilia.

Most of the 130,000 deaths annually due to postpartum hemorrhage occur in developing countries (where the WTS is experiencing most of its growth at this time). An otherwise healthy woman can be dead within 2 hours of the onset of a postpartum hemorrhage if aggressive treatment is not initiated at the outset.

Does anyone think that this insane blood policy would be in place if JW men were dying from postpartum hemorrhage, instead of women?

It just goes to show how poorly women are valued in this cult.

http://www.planetwire.org/files.fcgi/3439_BPpph-Jn01e.pdf

http://www.ikm.jmu.edu/Buttsjl/ISAT493/Hemophilia/hemophiliaincidence.html

and http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/135674/2421115/post.ashx#2421115

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: If JW men were the ones whose lives were on the line you'd see a huge change in WTS policy on blood transfusions.

Seriously.

The very first notable change to the rules on blood transfusions was the fact that clotting factors for haemophilia were permitted. I forget when this was first changed but if I remember correctly it was in the early to mid 80s. Haemophilia is a disease that affects males almost without exclusion.

from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hemophilia/hemophilia_what.html

About 18,000 people in the United States have hemophilia. Each year, about 400 babies are born with the disorder. Hemophilia usually occurs only in males (with very rare exceptions).

If men were the ones in danger of dying in childbirth, instead of women, I guarantee that reform on blood transfusion doctrine would be a top priority.

I am convinced that the doctrine as it stands now demonstrates unequivocally the utter lack of regard that the WTS has for the lives of women and children.

• Gill
    Gill

Scully ! I've been waiting for you! I knew you'd have the statistics behind this problem!

Having nearly bled to death myself I was 'upset' to say the least when my mother refused to help me out with my other children and nagged me about returning to meetings. There was NO HELP at all offered by any JWs in the cong either.

Her words: 'What do you want? A medal? You only did what Jehovah commanded you to do. You don't expect the brothers and sisters to drop the preaching work to come and help you. Just come back to the meetings and you'll get better much quicker!'

I was hearing her going on about all the house work she is doing at the moment for a brother who has not been very well after surgery and also his shopping, and his washing, and his cooking etc all organized by the elders in the congregation!

One rule for men and one for women.

A sister recently broke both her legs and one arm going to help this brother and slipping in his drive.

NO ONE ORGANIZED ANY HELP FOR HER EVEN THOUGH SHE IS A WIDOW.

• sir82
    sir82

A possibly related question, if anybody knows:

Why was the ban on organ transplants lifted? From 1967 - 1980, it was plainly called "cannibalism" and completed prohibited. Then in 1980, there was an about-face and it suddenly became a "conscience matter".

I've always suspected that some prominent brother(s) needed a liver or kidney or heart transplant, thus impelling the "new light".

• orbison11
    orbison11

at about 1985, we were relatively new in the org. my daughter needed a bone transplant (lame experiment at the time for bone tumors)

anyway,,,we were given the article with 'new light' from an elder,,,up to that point , having about 5 yrs in the org, we had no idea about any of this information

it was a conscience matter, so of course,,we and every single friend we had agreed

although it didnt work, their next plan was to remove leg,sheesh

orb

• R.F.
    R.F.

I highly doubt that would happen if their was more life loss occuring. In their minds, all the lives would be lost for the sake of staying loyal to Jehovah.

R.F.

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Gill,

I agree with you that if it was happening to men we would have new light and all would be well. I had this conversation with my non JW mum in law last night, who it turns out was very worried when my wife gave birth to our firs,t and we had similar issues. Fortunately both survived due to the skill of the doctor and midwife.

I agree with Scully their attitude towards women is egregious, and is the same in most religions.

llbh

• Scully
    Scully

Gill:

Having nearly bled to death myself I was 'upset' to say the least when my mother refused to help me out with my other children and nagged me about returning to meetings. There was NO HELP at all offered by any JWs in the cong either.

Her words: 'What do you want? A medal? You only did what Jehovah commanded you to do. You don't expect the brothers and sisters to drop the preaching work to come and help you. Just come back to the meetings and you'll get better much quicker!'

I was hearing her going on about all the house work she is doing at the moment for a brother who has not been very well after surgery and also his shopping, and his washing, and his cooking etc all organized by the elders in the congregation!

I've been on the receiving end of this JW form of Love™ too. Elders™ and Minsterial Servants™ and Pioneers™ and their spouses all have stuff organized on their behalf when they fall ill or suffer a serious injury that lays them up for a period of time. So do people who are Studying™... to give full effect to the Love Bombing™. I'll never forget the time I was on bed rest for a month during my last pregnancy and was completely forgotten - even though we were considered "strong" congregation members at the time - while at the very same time a Bible Study™ couple had meals brought to their home and child care and housekeeping arranged for them when the husband broke his leg. The Sister™ doing the organizing of this outpouring of love called to inform me that I was expected to bring them a full lasagne dinner and dessert, and when I told her that I could not do this because of my medical restrictions, she said some nasty things to me and hung up the phone. Apparently once she got to the meeting, she continued saying nasty things about me too.

A sister recently broke both her legs and one arm going to help this brother and slipping in his drive.

NO ONE ORGANIZED ANY HELP FOR HER EVEN THOUGH SHE IS A WIDOW.

That's just sickening. I almost wish I had been there so we could go and show them the right way to demonstrate love to people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit