Elder visit, you guys are GOOD!

by Uncertain 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

The half-hearted knock at the door (why yes, I do have a working doorbell) came as I was replacing a worn-out wall socket. Here were the leader of my book study (also he is the husband of my former study conductor) and anoter fella doing the after-study service. We were friendly and chatty and then I was asked what church I was going to now. I named it, explained that it is nondenominational, and offered a brochure they print called What We Believe. They wanted to know really, what denomination. I said it was very bible-based, that workshops and classes are widely available on various aspects of the bible. Of course they wouldn't touch it, even when I suggested that would offer more information for future conversations. they asked if that church has a door to door ministry. I said no, they do mission work locally and support other charities as well. "You mean like soup kitches?" I was asked. "Yes, and all the members share the message with their friends and invite them to the interesting services", I said.

We parried a bit more, I said that I was about three weeks behind in the Rev study and that I appreciate it as a history of the Witnessess as well as a comentary on Rev. The other brother commented that it was so up to date. Without batting an eye, I said yes, I liked the way the Witness history was updated in the newer editions. I think I saw a wince out of the corner of my eye.

Anyway, I couldn't have been so comfortable if I hadn't been soaking stuff up here. I wasn't trying to irritate, but neither was I willing to let misstatements stand. The Novemeber Awake is all about the bible, which was very helpful in my comments about the newer training I getting. Betcha I don't get a return visit....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

We parried a bit more, I said that I was about three weeks behind in the Rev study and that I appreciate it as a history of the Witnessess as well as a comentary on Rev. The other brother commented that it was so up to date. Without batting an eye, I said yes, I liked the way the Witness history was updated in the newer editions. I think I saw a wince out of the corner of my eye.

Now that was priceless! Good job and I doubt you will get another visit. Oh darn!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Betcha I don't get a return visit....

Yep, Jesus warned them about you...

• changeling
    changeling

I take it you were never baptized, or you'd be in deep do-do for going to a new church.

You might just get a return visit. You're easy to count time with and we all know that's what it's all about.

changeling

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

FWIW, I tried to correct spelling and grammar but kept getting an error message. I love the goat photo, I take that as a compliment!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit