What I Like About This Forum...

by Tempest in a Teacup 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

...is that it gives me insight into jw circles I'd otherwise never know.

My mother loathes gossip and derives a personal pleasure in shutting jw gossips up. As a family, we belong to that boring side of the congregation which never hear any of the juicy stories on the going-ons in the hall.

This forum however makes it possible to have a REAL panoramic view of the whole thingy. From the GB to bethel, to the elders and their families, to the ninja-pioneer army, and many other cliques in the congregations. Over here there's always someone 'representing' each of those classes in the hall.

It's amazing but at the same time, it's such an obvious rule of life. If you want to have a wholistic view of something, be willing to take a few steps away from it.

T in a T

• Giordano
    Giordano

T in a T .........There's a lot to like on here. A lot of really good people that easily make up for the occasional AH that shows up. Plenty of education. Good advice for people having a difficult time being shunned or trying to fade.

For many trapped in........... I think this site helps keep them sane.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS FORUM:

1) The fact that people here can understand what someone is going through when they discover TTATT. That sounds simplistic, but it isn't. An "outsider" simply has never learned the dynamics that are unique to being a member of this religion/cult. They simply will NEVER understand what, why, and how you are feeling.

2) The fact that there is a whole sh!tload of people here going through the same thing. IT WAS NOT JUST ME who had all these doubts, questions, concerns, differences of opinion. AND there are more and more every day, every week, every month. It's been incredible!

3) The brilliant sources of information. A person could spend countless hours researching a question or doubt or subject, but (be lazy) and post the question here and you'll have an answer in 15 minutes and more information than you really wanted to know within 24 hours. And if it's a Biblical subject or a matter about JWs, etc then the people here are so much more versed on these things than even the WT Writing Dept (which doesn't remember from one month to the next if the people destroyed in Sodom will be resurrected or not be resurrected. They flip flop more than a short order cook at a burger joint.)

4) The non-judgmental attitude of everyone. (Doesn't totally apply to the deist vs atheist debate.) But on everything else -- 3-legged, gay, cross-dresser, republican, dope smokin' whatever -- you're OK as long as everything is consensual. (No backroom kangaroo courts here.)

How's that for a start?

Doc

• Vagabond Manifesto
  • Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    For many trapped in........... I think this site helps keep them sane.

It does this for me. I used to be ignorant about different aspects of the congregation, and this made me feel lost at times. Reading on here from people who once were part of so many of these unknown territories of jw town helps me to have that sanity in a certain way. It's an eye-opener I could never have had in the cong only. I'm grateful about that.

How's that for a start?

That's great for a start! There are many ways people can enjoy this forum. Yet some points you raised, I'd tend to assign to other ex-jw websites. But that's ME.

T in a T

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I can agree with all of the above comments. I learnt more about that religion in 18 months of been on here than I ever did in the 39 years been an active witness. I'm usually finding out stuff weeks ahead of my relatives. I was even able to reconnect with a district overseer who I knew in my youth who I meet off here. I will warn you from personal experience if you wish to remain in the religion with a clear conscious then this may not be the best place for you. I thought I could have the best of both worlds. 18 months latter I walked out of Hall for the last time.

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

I will warn you from personal experience if you wish to remain in the religion with a clear conscious then this may not be the best place for you. I thought I could have the best of both worlds. 18 months latter I walked out of Hall for the last time.

Hi Joe,

I fully get your point. I've lurked on this forum for years and yes... It does damage quite a few things jw-wise. You know, because I never bought into it totally even in my best jw years, having the best of both worlds has become a second nature for me. Whatever will happen will happen. For the meantime I'm enjoying my newly found serenity and calm amidst after so many years of tormenting myself.

• roberto avon
    roberto avon
    what I like about this forum......

I am married since 28 years with a born in Jw ( very liberal, though )
    I always thought that I was strong enough to protect my family from the undue influence of " fanatic " Jw family members and the sisters of the cong that dropped by, so now and then.
    That is untrue and thanks to this forum I even know more than my wife who attends 2/3 meetings a month.
    The information I find here is very important and helps me in understanding what is happening in my wife's religion and be prepared when there is a family discussion.
  • Simon
    Simon

We've been a 'stop' on many people's journey for the past 15 years and there are some great stories and experiences that I think are very valuable to help people less isolated and understand some of the reasons behind their experiences.

There's also a ton of information about the WTS and it's inner workings by people who've been in it at most levels. Once you see more about the information flow and control structures of the WTS you see through the hype and realize that it is just a bunch of guys running a government sanctioned scam (basically "a religion") and nothing inspired at all.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Tempest in a Teacup - "This forum however makes it possible to have a REAL panoramic view of the whole thingy."

No to mention advance notice about anything happening in Watchtowistan, sometimes months before the R&F find out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit