feeling for the edges of apostasy

by inkling 9 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

No matter where at the end of this journey I actually end up spiritually and philosophically, one thing I am sure is that family ties are worth fighting for. I distinctly want to avoid being disfellowshiped for any reason, if at all possible. And, (since I am not about to go on a hedonistic crime spree) my biggest risk of being disfellowshiped is on the grounds of "Apostasy", I am assuming. How many here ARE disfellowshiped, and was it for Apostasy? If so, what did you ACTUALLY do that held up in JC court well enough to get you DF'd? I apologize if this is too personal, but if possible, I really need to know what land mines to avoid. Tact and charisma only go so far. [ink]

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

Well, maybe, just maybe, you should avoid telling them that you don't want to be a Jehovah's Witness anymore. And don't get caught smoking, heh heh!

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

The best advice that I can give you is this: if you are called into a judicial meeting for the purpose of investigating whether or not you are an apostate, do NOT try to show them the evidences that the Watchtower is a false prophet. You could show them the most concrete, solid evidence that the Watchtower is evil, and because of how they are programmed to reject critical information, they won't even comprehend it. The sole purpose of that meeting will be to determine whether or not you believe that the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses is the "faithful and discreet slave" and that the Watchtower organization is God's one, true organization on the earth. If you want to keep your family relationships, then you must lie when answering this question.

• oompa
    oompa

If you have tact use it. Fade quietly and dont ask "troubling" questions. Just slack off or stop whatever theocratic you are doing, and dont voice your opinions. If you do this.....for a long time.....then you can do just about anything with no reprocussions. I have been loud and naughty and have still faded ok, but this is rare. You can download the file of the Elder Handbook and read up on how they deal with apostacy.....very interesting....welcome.....oompa

• zack
    zack

Avoid the Christmas tree and light displays.

• JK666
    JK666

Be careful feeling for that "edge." In my experience, the decision is usually made before the Judicial Committee hearing. The hearing is just to confirm and make them feel better. Fade , fade, fade.

JK

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The only thing that would have saved me would have been to move far away. The reason? I cannot shut up. This religion was my life. It meant everything to me. When I found it to be a fraud, I had to speak out to at least a few people. I got the 'apostacy' invite. I declined and DA'd.

I, for one, could not go thru life putting on the motions [no flag, no holidays, no outward sign that I was no longer a JW.]. My life will be too long I hope for that to work for me. I love family. I loved the people I knew as a JW. But I cannot play by their rules for that long. I do not regret my choices in that regard. But if you want to stay Jw in name only, and avoid the DF, then look like a Jw, live like a Jw, speak like a Jw. Might as well be a Jw IMHO.

That said - I do wish you success my friend.

Jeff

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am fading. Don't try to even meet with elders if you can avoid it.
    Telling family anything about your inactivity is difficult.

As far as the elders go, just don't say anything at all. If they try to shepherd you,
    say "NO THANKS, it's personal. I am fine."

If family asks about missing meetings and service, "I am fine, I am on break."

If you never tip off one elder, then you never will get called to 3 elders.
    Watch out when 2 elders want to speak to you. "Sorry, no time."

It's not always best for everyone to fade and avoid DA or DF. Some family will
    shun some inactive ones. Some family will demand activity. Some people need
    to pursue freedom in ways that "out" them. I am still fading for the sake of
    family, and I am starting to wonder if I will keep it up for years. The good news is
    that it is easy to change my mind from fading. All I got to do is blow the whistle on
    myself.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I was recently contacted by an elder who wanted to meet with me on charges of apostasy. I asked him if I could think about it for a few days and promised to contact him either way (whether I wanted to meet with him or not). If you're faced with a similar situation, find out what the nature of the meeting is. If they indicate it's supposed to be a "Sheperding Call", then politely decline. If they indicate it's judicial (or could devolve into judicial), then tell them you want to think about it for a few days. Maybe tell them you want to meditate on it or pray about it, if that gets them off your back.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    This religion was my life. It meant everything to me. When I found it to be a fraud, I had to speak out to at least a few people. I got the 'apostacy' invite. I declined and DA'd.

Same here.

Only back then the cult said the DA word.

Now they imply that the person who left was DF'd and the JW's immediately assume it was for immorality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit