How to leave the Victim role and be a Survivor-

by wednesday 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• wednesday
    wednesday

I was given a book to read today . It is entitled " The Power of Forgiveness" by Rosie McCall Kaiser. ISBN 0-9705268-1-4

published in 2001 by CRJ PUBLISHING.

The book talks about Transpersonal Psychology ie Forgiveness Psychology.

The author comes from a background of abuse, sexual and neglect and abandonment. The book is her story and how she found help through therapy and within the United Church of Practical Christianity. She went from victim to survivor, but not after one therapy session or spiritual help. It was hard work and required her to examine her belief system. ie, it was HARD.

I have read quite a bit of it and it struck a cord with me immediately. the book addresses Core beliefs, here are a few.-

1. There is something wrong with me. -most children who have been abused or neglected have this belief whether they realize it or not.

2. I must agree with and please everyone all the time

3. I must be dependable and work hard, fun is bad.

4. if i don't fit in anywhere, if anyone is upset, IT IS MY FAULT.

I was unable to set the book down, b/c my core belief all my life is "There is something wrong with

me , and If don't' fit In-- it's my fault.

I highly recommend this book, 126 pages- so not a hard read.

It can probably be checked out in the library or bought at the half price store or through amazon marketplace..

I highly recommend it for anyone who is living their life as a victim. .

weds

• orbison11
    orbison11

thank you, i wrote that title down,,will grab at the library very soon

orb

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Wednesday - thanks for the reccommendation.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the book you have suggested anywhere on the net - but I'll check my library.

Naomi Drew came up in my search - her book also looks interesting. She has done one for parenting too which may be quite practical.

ql

• wednesday
    wednesday

quietlyleaving,

You are correct, I can't find it either and i have used all the different search engines for books that I know of. beats me why it is not on the net, b/c it's a 2001 book. at any rate, in lieu of the book i have here's a search done with that book title using the" fetch" search engine. it brought up some very similar books.

http://www.fetchbook.info/the_power_of_forgiveness.html

• erynw
    erynw

I found great personal success with the book, "A Gift To Myself" by Charles Whitfield

• V1710
    V1710

I too found A Gift To Myself very useful in healing

• wednesday
    wednesday

I read this quickly so will go back for details. What caught my eye first -she had "went out from the first Baptist church" 2, times These were over scandal. One was her as child and then adult.

The author grew up in Arkansas during the depression and WW 11 Her childhood was chaotic, living in several different homes with various caregivers. The relative stable homes came with a price of lacking emotion connectedness.. the most dysfunctional caregivers provided the most laughter and excitement. Rosie had to become an adult at 15, eventually having 3 children. She survived 4 marriages, and divorces, and over came chronic ulcerative colitis . Her careers have been in insurance salesperson, optician, and hypnotherapy.

Rose lived through neglect and abuse from infancy to adolescence. Due to her personal resiliency, unconditional love from an aunt, academic success, as well as eventually psychological & spiritual help, she found way not not only survive, but to become self confident, in dependent, and compassionate.

she wrote this book so she might help others who face a life like she was born into.

Her story is not only about a person overcoming a series of traumatic events, but also about how powerful healing forgiveness can be for any person willing to make the challenging journey. those core beliefs that "I'm not a good person" "no one likes me, i don't' fit in " they come fro this type of abuse. They stay with you all your life until you find a way to make peace wth yourself.

• wednesday
    wednesday

this book has affected me powerfully. I was reading it and had a flashback to when i was 8-9 yrs old.

It seems her story is causing me flashbacks. may have to lay the book down for a while.

I have trouble journaling, maybe a tape recorder.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Book sounds interesting....its out of print... i found 2001 and 2003 as the printing from 2 publishers... I think the 2001 run was a small publisher with a limited run...the other one delta echo press...also small publisher...paperback version.... my usual and unusual places for out of print book comes up craps except this....

I found ONE copy for $29.99 + $3.99 s/h on Amazon Marketplace with a private seller...listed under collectible, as it is signed by the author... I expect it will now be snapped up...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006RVPGA/ref=dp_olp_2/105-1944341-5006861

Snakes ()

• wednesday
    wednesday

wow snakes, you have some powerful search engines for books . i tired every resource i knew of. I buy lots of books so i know the usual places and a few not so usual.

thanks so much for the lead. glad i have the copy i do. whew, 29.00! My borowed copy is a 2001 , no price listed and by the publisher is listed. oh good heavens, it is signed.

weds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit