Dwight D. Eisenhower

by Wordly Andre 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I found this on the web: Eisenhower's family originally belonged to the local River Brethren sect of the Mennonites. However, when Ike was five years old, his parents became followers of the WatchTower Society, whose members later took the name Jehovah's Witnesses. The Eisenhower home served as the local WatchTower meeting Hall from 1896 to 1915, when Eisenhower's father stopped regularly associating due to the WatchTower's failed prophesies that Armageddon would occur in October 1914 and 1915. Ike's father received a WatchTower funeral when he died in the 1940s. Ike's mother continued as an active Jehovah's Witness until her death. Ike and his brothers also stopped associating regularly after 1915. Ike enjoyed a close relationship with his mother throughout their lifetimes, and he even used a WatchTower printed Bible for his second Presidential Inauguration. In later years, Eisenhower was baptized, confirmed, and became a communicant in the Presbyterian church in a single ceremony on February 1, 1953, just weeks after his first inauguration as president. In his retirement years, he was a member of the Gettysburg Presbyterian Church in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

• BFD
    BFD

I forget where I read that but it sure is interesting. Eisenhower is also the President who inserted "Under God" in the pledge of allegence.

"From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our Nation and our people to the Almighty." President Eisenhower (1954) after signing into law a bill to have "under God" added to the original pledge

BFD

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Quotations: "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war." -- Flag Day speech, signing bill authorizing addition of the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance, 14 June 1954

• greendawn
    greendawn

They were too smart to remain with the JWs it's not for nothing that he was chosen as the leader of the allied forces in the West European war theatre. It is strange though that the mother of one of the US presidents was a JW. According to the dubs, political systems and their leaders are from the Devil!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

not to mention he had nukes, he could have brought Armageddon!!

• tula
    tula

Forget college! This board has covered a lot of history for one day in this thread. Boy howdy! I sure didn't know all that Andre.

alt

• garybuss
    garybuss

So when the Witnesses brag about their standing up to Hitler just remind them that it was an ex-Witness who rode on a Sherman tank into Berlin and got them out of Nazi concentration camps. Not one active Witness helped them.

• moshe
    moshe

A very good point Gary and one I shall use! Preisdent Eisenhower's mother died in 1946, so he didn't have to worry about what she thought when he joined a church.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I cant immagine how the wactower society would have been in 1914. Everything about the world was different.

I'm not even sure it was the wactower society back then, it might have been called something else.

They used to celebrate birthdays and xmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit