This is how a true Christian would act:

by SirNose586 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

So I'm getting out of class and on my way home. School is a good 10-13 miles away from home in another community. I'm on the main drag heading to the freeway, when suddenly I hear this thumping sound in the back. I turn down the music, and sure enough, it gets louder as I speed up and stops when I stop. Being the smart guy that I am, I head on the freeway. Now I definitely know I've just picked up a flat, and now I'm off on the freeway shoulder. I'm a bit nervous, but not enough to be rattled. I get to work changing the flat, more annoyed than worried about getting creamed by some moron. I get to the part where you take off the lugs, and due to lack of strength, I kick on the lug wrench for leverage. Not pretty, but it works.

All of a sudden, this white Previa pulls up behind me.

The guy gets out and offers his hand. "Hi, I'm Eric. I'm a Christian," he tells me.

I'm not sure how to word my current religious status, but I tell him, "I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, but not really. I'm disillusioned with it." That works.

Eric is my height and thin, Hispanic, mid to late 30s I think, with a greasy ballcap and flannel jacket. He gets right to work, muscling the lug nuts, instead of my kicking. I put on the donut, and he muscles the lugs on. When all is done, I profusely thank him and reach for my wallet. "Oh no, no charge, my friend," he says.

"Well listen, can't I get you some coffee or something?" I offered. I tried in vain to direct him to a Starbucks, but he said for me to follow him. I do, and we end up at an AM/PM where we both get coffee. Outside the shop, he treats me to a sermon.

It's nothing that I haven't heard before, Christianity 101, in the best English he could give me. I like his simple, unhurried delivery of his personal faith, plus other stories of him helping motorists more helpless than myself. Inbetween his thoughts, I give a little anti-Witnessing. He told me where he worked, and even offered his phone number, but he forgot to give his number to me before he drove off. I let him know this: if anyone he knows gets a WT or Asleep at the door, that he should let that person know that he's got a much more spiritual offer than the dubs.

So--no obligatory "Bible Study" hook, no spiritual wrangling, just two people sharing their beliefs and coffee. At least I found one more guy who really exemplifies what a Christian should be.

How many dubs would do that for a complete stranger? And how many fewer would help without hooking the person into a BS or meeting date?

Let me know.

• PinTail
    PinTail

Well, truthfuly most would not stop I think unless there was a Watchtower in the window, which is a good way to get help from a Witness, other wise most will not stop. If you have a beard forget it. (If you hold up a cheese danish you may get results.)

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Pretty much sums it up, PinTail. They're too busy being worried about helping out a homicidal maniac....too busy trying to get to the meeting on time so they can hear about how "righteous" they are by treating outsiders like second class citizens...too busy worrying that they'll get counciled for doing the wrong thing, for not "sealing the deal" if they didn't offer a BS. I've been scolded a handful of times for not giving random strangers I just happened to converse with a magazine, or not giving them a dub sermon, or a BS offer.

Sometimes you just help somebody or talk to someone without any strings attached. Eric led right off with his calling card, but like I said, he didn't wrangle me into going to his church. He drove off without giving me his number. But I have much more respect for him, and if I can, I'll drop by his work with a thank you card or something...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A real Witless would be too worried about the "real" work of placing the Puketower and Asleep magazines to do anything practical. After all, if the worldly person gets the flat tire changed, that is of little importance. Better just leave the Puketower and Asleep and let them sit there with a flat tire (or other breakdown).

I wonder how long it takes to realize that this is of no practical value. All they think of is getting into that new order, and then everything will be taken care of. What they will not tell you is that, if you are lacking of something critical now or are in a crisis now, then help that is forthcoming sometime in the indefinite future is not going to do you any good. I can see Jesus looking for the Asleep or Puketower in the window before assisting someone in need; in the absence of such, placing more importance on placing a set than on getting the person out of the immediate problem. I cannot recall one occasion where Jesus put that damn Puketower ahead of someone's immediate needs.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

I hope you will drop by Eric's place of work sooner than later. He sounds like a real friend. His attitude really teaches us how real Christians should behave. There is definitely more joy in giving. Look how joyful he made you feel.

I have learned over the past few years, that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. Even meeting Eric had it's reasons. He was one step to making you an even better person yet. We can learn so much from these "outsiders" who are real people, who show real love and who really care. Hey, that sounds like you & me and most of the others in here. Oh, duh, I forgot, We are "outsiders" now too. And proud of it.

LINDA

• greendawn
    greendawn

The dubs only have indoctrination in mind and have no real love or good will towards those they try to convert, they do not have a real Christian personality or attitude. In fact they and their organisation are not Christian at all, contrary to what they claim.

This dry preaching without anything to give their supposed good will some reality gives the game away it's all a commercial activity on behalf of the WTS.

• changeling
    changeling

I'm sorry, but if a stranger said to me: "Hi, my name is Eric, I'm a Christian", I would be creeped out!

To answer your question: I agree with the poster who said most witnesses would only stop for a fellow witness.

And yes, if your guy Eric is not a lunatic he is displaying "Christ like qualities".

Unless of course he's going around looking for people in distress just to convert.

In that case, he has an ulterior motive (not unlike JW's) to be nice.

Am I jaded?

changeling

• changeling
    changeling

Just another "jaded" thought: Why did he have to mention being christian?

Was that supposed to make you feel better?

Don't non-christians do nice things for others as well?

Aren't there ax-murderers who claim to be christian?

If a self proclaimed christian stops me in a dark alley am I supposed to let my guard down?

Wouldn't his kind deed have been even better if he had done it annonimously and w/o discussing religion?

Would he have helped you if he thought he had no chance to convert or impress?

changeling

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

Coming right out saying he was a Christian, may be his way of trying to ease your mind and not be so scared. I guess a person could always reply with, "Why do you tell me that?" On the other hand, a person saying they are a Christian, could be a way too to let others know, that he's doing this good deed because he is a Christian., i.e. reinforcing his good behavior. Hey...appreciate what he did, even if there are ulterior motives.

LINDA

• shell69
    shell69

Pin tail;

w/t in the windoe wont work for me since I got a hand made wicker pentagram hangin from my windscreen.

Dont think the witlesses will stop to help a pagan APOSTATE!!

Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit