It must be an assembly weekend here...

by Jim_TX 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

For about a week now, there's a fella where I work who has made known his plans to take off...well, it started out Thursday & Friday of this week to go to Belton, TX. I know he is a JW (he don't know I am an ex-jw), and so figured he was going to the annual picnic... err... I mean assembly.

Anyway, things changed at work, and he had to come in Thursday morning for something work-related. His plans then changed to taking off 1/2-day Thursday, Friday & Monday. (I kinda think that it upset one of the boss's here.)

My boss walked in in the afternoon and asked me... "So! What's in Belton?" (My boss knows that I am an ex-jw.)

I replied, "Oh. It's their summer assembly that they have every year. They have it Friday, Saturday & Sunday."

He said, "Oh. More brainwashing." (I kid you not! He used the word 'brainwashing'.)

I said, "You notice that Al didn't go." (Al used to be a jw - but I think that he has taken the 'fade' route long ago.)

He said something to the effect like "Oh - of course not!"

So - this weekend must be 'assembly week' for some folks. By the way... Belton is not that close to this city. They have to drive about 300 miles away to get there - then rent a motel (or hotel), and then eat out the entire time they are there. Just another 'loving' arrangement.

Regards,

Jim TX

• penny2
    penny2

It's assembly weekend here too (District Convention). That's Adelaide, South Australia.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

It assembly week-end here too in Dekalb, IL. A GF of mine told me last night on the phone that she was not going because she thought she might be getting sick. Yeah, it is cold season and you certainly don't want to be around thousands who could make it worse. I know her husband well enough to know, if she does not go, neither will he. So that is two less witnesses at the convention.

• darth fader
    darth fader

Hey I used to look forward to assembly weekends. It meant no service and 3 days of being in the company of other witlesses!

Also was great to check out the (few) babes!

• wildfire
    wildfire

yes ,, the big deal assembly is in Belton, Tx.. my jw daughter wants me to go and we live in Austin...where are you at Jim in Texas... she said it is only like 30 minutes from here....of course I have my priorities... I am an extra in the tv show Friday Night Lights. so while my daughter is being slowly and methodically bored to death... I get to be in the bright lights of a TV series...this is the second season,,and I make a great contribution as a fan and dillion high booster....I think I would need to be stoned to sit thru a session there

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    wildfire said - "...we live in Austin...where are you at Jim in Texas... she said it is only like 30 minutes from here"

Well... according to Google maps, Belton is about 60 miles up I-35 from Austin, so unless you drive at 120 mph, it'll take you longer than 30 minutes to get there. (If you're in Georgetown, it might take 30 minutes, though.)

From San Antonio - where I am, it's about 140 miles. Okay - so I exaggerated. It would take you a bit of time the get there - since you need to drive through downtown Austin traffic (unless you go up US 281 - which I usually do - going that direction)

"I am an extra in the tv show Friday Night Lights."

Wow! I'm envious!

Regards,

Jim TX

• garybuss
    garybuss

Just think of all the cash the Watch Tower Corporation makes off all these conventions.

"Part of necessary convention business is handling large sums of money."
    PAGE 4-1 DISTRICT CONVENTION OPERATIONS WTB&T$ 1997

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit