The Operation Illustration

by WTWizard 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember a fairly common illustration used in the Kingdumb Hells to justify Jehovah allowing suffering. It had to do with a child that had a disease that a painful operation was necessary to treat the disease. It compares us suffering to that child.

Here are the holes in that argument. First, do we really have that type of disease where a terrible operation is the only cure? Will the operation even be of any lasting benefit, or is it designed solely to keep the child dependent on the drug companies for life? For many diseases, those operations are truly unnecessary, and often do more harm than good in the long run.

How would you feel, for instance, if you as a child had cancer, and "needed" a painful operation, got it, had to suffer for it for life with serious pain and handicap, only to learn that a 7-day course of a common tea would have cured that cancer permanently with no side effects? And, what if you find out that your parents knew it too but decided to put you through the operation anyway? I don't think you would be too pleased at what your parents did, especially if that tea was widely available and approved by the FDA! (At that, at the time you had the operation!)

If this argument is going to hold water, then the "disease" would have to be otherwise untreatable. And I believe that the "disease" that man is suffering could be permanently cured with a simple operation of regulationdectomy. Taking away the regulations that hold us back would allow the free market to solve our problems without permanently creating new ones. (Yes, there would be more pollution, which would be the raw materials for someone else to make money by making other products out of it). The stagnation that has resulted from crap education and crap jobs, along with the crap products that have resulted, would go. And with it, so would the crime and other problems that we suffer. No painful operation would be needed--that would be that tea.

I would like to have heard someone comment at the meeting at that point, that the disease could be cured with a vitamin or herb, or perhaps an exercise (or even a combination of a drug with one of the above). I know of no disease that needs a painful, debilitating operation to manage if the regulations would only be removed. Genetic diseases would disappear if a virus that corrects the problem would be custom made (which would die out once the disease is cured). Cancer can be hijacked to grow into normal tissue, or killed off by alkalizing the body. Heart disease and diabetes can also be cured (at least in countries without a FDA) with herbs. So, man's "disease" can also be cured without protracted suffering. And that argument does not hold water.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Good points.

Many of their illustrations do no go past the basics, mainly because the writers of the WT publications have never really bothered to develop their own systematic theology. Instead of having their own process by which to examine life & scripture they instead have a pre-set number of things that have to be right and then build everything else around them. Thus the creation of many bad and illogical illustrations.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Laziness. Dishonesty. No wonder I can see right through so many of their illustrations, and shred them to pieces. Maybe they should be getting their W's on use of illustrations.

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

I can remember using this one on the doors a number of times.

But i remember meeting one person on the door who listen to that explanation about why god allow suffering and said the following:

(this was over 15 years ago yet i still remember this word for word, it really stuck in my mind)

Hang on, so your saying God allowing suffering in the world is like a parent allow their child to go through a painful operation in order to make them better.

I replied : Yes

So if you as a parent had the power to heal your child without the need of an operation ( and being a all powerful god he would be able to do this), but still allowed him to go Thur a painful operation, wouldn't that make you an unfit parent and heartless.

So either your God can't do anything as he is not all powerful or,

His is all powerful and chooses to allow you to suffer in-spite of his ability to heal you , which makes him, immoral.

I never used that example again.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Ask them to show a scripture where Jesus cured someone by performing a painful operation. W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit