Are These "Scholars" JWs & are They Really Scholars? A Brother Says So....

by Seeker4 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A brother on the Beliefnet discussion of the new KM Question Box claims that the following list of writings is by JW professors, including elders and former COs and DOs. Some of the names, like Jay Hess and Firpo Carr, I'm familar with. Most I haven't heard of.
    Does anyone know if these are really by JWs, and are there all these Witnesses who are language and bible professors at various universities, as that brother claims? I've been involved with the Witnesses for a long time, and I only knew of a couple of brothers in this situation.
    This brother also claims that he's attending a Baptist university and studying something like bible history. Sounds a bit unusual. Also claims that he wants to teach Bible subjects online and become a JW apologist, essentially.
    Sounds interesting. Well, if he's any kind of a scholar, he'll soon by on JWD!
    It's funny, but this brother was defending the WTS's view in the QB, when he is doing exactly what they are coming out against!
    S4
    Here's the list:

A Philosophical, Scientific and Theological Defense for the Notion That a God Exists by Hal Flemings
    “Your Word is Truth” Essays in Celebration of the 50th anniversary of the New World translation of the Holy Scriptures (1950, 1953) by Anthony Byatt, Hal FlemingsEdgar Foster, David Jakubovic and Rolf Furuli.
    The Role of Theology and Bias in Bible Translation With a Special Look at the New World Translation of Jehovah’s Witnesses by Rolf Furuli
    Chronology and the Length of the Babylonian Exile of the Jews by Rolf Furuli
    Persianbr>New Testament Metaphors Illustrations in Word and Phrase by Anthony Byatt
    Jesus-God or the Son of God? A Comparison of the Arguments by Brian Holt
    New Simplified Bible by Jim Madsen
    21st Century New Testament by Vivian Capel
    The Name of God Y.eH.oW.aH Which Is Pronounced As It Is Written I_Eh_Ou_Ah: Its Story by Gerard Gertoux
    The Trinity's Weak Links Revealed by Robert L. George
    The Lord and the Tetragrammaton by Howard Mazzaferro
    Conces of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by Matthew Alfs
    Angelomorphic Christology and the Exegesis of Psalm 8:5 in Tertullian's Adversus Praxean: An Examination of Tertullian's Reluctance to Attribute Angelic Properties to the Son of God by Edgar Foster
    An Exploration of Christology and the Trinity - by Edgar Foster
    Conversations and Debates with Trinitarians by Heinz Schmidt
    The Trinty in Light of the Harmony of the Holy Scriptures by Michael A. Barber
    Jehovah's Witnesses Are Not False Prophets by Jay Hess
    Answers To Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses by Heinz Schmitz
    Jehovah's Witnesses - A Challenge by Helmut-Dieter Hartmann
    Chronicles of the Unholy Fathers by R. W. Rolands
    Living Destiny: The Man From Matthew Mark Luke John by Marlet Cole
    Gems From The New Testament by Vivian Capel
    The Divine Name Controversy - Volume 1 by Dr. Firpo W. Carr
    A History of Jehovah's Witnesses From A Black American Perspective by Firpo W. Carr PH.D.
    In Defense of That Despised "Sect" by Author: J.C. Bremer
    Something to Laugh About by Jimmy and Marilyn Kennedy

• badboy
    badboy

IS THIS BROTHER ATTENDING A BAPTIST UNIVERSITY?

WOULD IT BE ALRIGHT I A BROTHER ATENDED A CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Well, isn't Notre Dame a Catholic university? Would a brother be considered wrong attending it? I'm not sure how I would answer that.

S4

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Jay Hess is no longer a JW. I think he is now a Baptist. I think Edgar Foster does have some type of graduate degree in Religious Studies. I thing Rolf Furuli does too. Both Edgar and Rolf and still JWs the last I heard.

Jeff S.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks Jeff. I kind of thought I remembered that about Hess.

Do you know if any of these guys are elders, ex-COs or DOs?

I really knew only a handful of brothers over the years who were any kind of serious students of the Bible.

S4

• Dagney
    Dagney

Firpo has been in and out many times. I think currently he is out. Last time I saw him on TV dressed as a Muslim, with a Muslim cleric and I think Michael Jackson.

Hal Flemmings definitely is. Has a website (though not so sure now with the new "info"LOL). He's done a lot of writing through the years, a lot on the trinity.

Heinz Schmit I understand is now out, and I think agnostic.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I've read the "Role of Theology and Bias" book by Furuli. The guy read a lot of books that us laymen would be disfellowshipped for reading for this book.

• Terry
    Terry

Any scholastic merits a JW has was brought in WITH THEM as they became absorbed into the Kingdom Hall.

At Brooklyn the library is stocked top to bottom with the ...GASP!...works of Christendom's scholars.

This is the feeding ground for the writing department when they need to sound educated.

Fred Franz was a deep reader of Martin Luther apparently. I say "apparently" because I was astonished one evening when I went to the

Ft.Worth Public Library and began browsing through the Complete Works of Martin Luther only to discover that Franz had vacuumed out all the crumbs

and turned them into the Babylon the Great book!!

Have you ever known somebody who has Do-It-Yourself projects going on at their house all the time? Self-taught carpenters and jerry-rig electricians and shade-tree mechanics all have one thing in common with Watchtower "Scholars"---they are self-taught just enough to do some real damage!

No academic disicpline ever stood in their way and they never got the opportunity to fail a test of competency.

JW scholars can build a mean bird house, but; that's about it!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Furuli..If he was half as smart as Fred Hall thinks he is..He would never say another word..LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit