Out of the Mouth of Babes

by mdb 1 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mdb
    mdb

Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them. But when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that He did, and the children crying out in the temple and saying, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” [Jesus] they were indignant and said to Him, “Do You hear what these are saying?”
    And Jesus said to them, “Yes. Have you never read,
    ‘Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
    You have perfected praise’?”
    Then He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and He lodged there.
    (Matt 21:14-17)

O Lord [Yhwh], our Lord,
    How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
    Who have set Your glory above the heavens!
    Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
    You have ordained strength,
    Because of Your enemies,
    That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.
    (Ps 8:1-2)

The chief priests were indignant because the people were giving praise to Jesus. Hosanna translates as, “oh save!” or “save, we pray” – an exclamation of adoration and praise. Jesus’ response to the chief priests is noteworthy since by it He points to His true identity – being God. Jesus quotes a scripture which is given to the Lord (Yhwh), the one and only true God, and indicates this prophetic passage as being fulfilled at that moment in Himself through the praise given by the people toward Him. Without question, by His use of this passage from the Psalms, Jesus says, “I am the Lord. I am Yhwh.” This is in agreement with many other scriptures such as when he asked His disciples, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter responds, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” To Peter’s answer Jesus says, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.” (Matt 16:15-17) And Thomas also later responds to seeing the risen Lord by exclaiming, “My Lord and My God!” (Jn 20:28) A great confession to His deity.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    The chief priests were indignant because the people were giving praise to Jesus.

JW's have never praised Jesus in the congregations I have attended.

As a matter of fact, the only time I heard his name mentioned other than at the end of a prayer was when a householder brought up His name.

Otherwise, it was the same old, "Jehovah requires us to" "Jehovah wouldn't be pleased if we" "Jehovah is going to destro...."

Anyway, you get the idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit