What is it all about ?

by RAF 8 Replies latest jw friends

• RAF
    RAF

I've' always thought that Americans where more romantic somehow than Frenchs (they talk easier about feelings - true or false - it's not the point), and I'm always amazed when I read adds where most are quiet PRACTICAL / MATERIALISTIC in there definition of needs and responses regarding something related to LOVE ... It's weird, it's like they don't believe in love anymore ...

What is it all about ?
    and if you feel like you have an idea about what kind of add would please a woman - give it a try

• jgnat
    jgnat

It sure wouldn't be "Calculate your Lover". What a rip-off ad. It asks for your CELL NUMBER. Like I'd be stupid enough to give that to an anonymous ad.

I always thought the French had romance figured out. Take it slow. Talk. Drink good wine. Enjoy yourself!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think that's how they always have been, the American society is far more materialistic than the French one. I don't know why you thought otherwise. However in America there are numerous subcultures and wavelengths and one would be able to find all sorts of approaches to romantic relationships though materialism will be the predominant one.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

like the ad at the bottom of the page on this thread - "seeking millionaire.com always free for beautiful girls." That lays it out for you - money wants beauty and beauty wants money. I guess that leaves love for the ugly and the poor - so maybe we luck out after all!

• prophecor
    prophecor

Puritanically Dishonest.

We preach morals and values, yet we have bastion of debauchery associated with our view of the world, life and many, I would imagine, haven't the slightest concept with regard to love.

America is a me first, mostly, society.

You better get yours cause I'm gonna' get mines. If you're slow, you blow. If you snooze you lose.

• PEC
    PEC

If you have money why would you need, "seeking millionaire.com always free for beautiful girls." You already have more gold diggers than you could ever want. And, if you are a beautiful girl you can get almost anything you want; until, the beauty fades with age, then the money will move on. So, who is on that site? The ugly and the poor both lying to each other.

Philip (of the cynical sheep class.)

• RAF
    RAF

Ok ... thanks for your answers

The thing is that actually I've been 3 weeks (it just bothers me at the end) on a dating service "Meetic" (most french but international) something like a year ago to have some fun talking and eventually meeting what could become new friends from everywhere (since mines are all married/with somebody or away), and actually I've realised that those (any age) who had interesting ads were players (their right - but not really interesting), also the young once were kind of romantic but with a lot of reserve (LOL ... To resume their ads were saying something like that : I'm looking for someone but do not expect me to marry you just because we get in touch - that's smart since they don't want to be bothered if they are not in love - but will they take advantage on the girl expecting some love anyway? - but two young someone - I really need to have conversations with people of my age - since I have acces to young once).

Most over 35 seems to loose confidence or put all their confidence into their means - and they were talking practical/material to attract girls - and that's repulsive somehow (what if he loses the money - where will be the man ?) ok the feeling is subjective cause thinking about it somehow I thought that most of those guys might be really interesting for girls who really wants to getmarried - who knows what they will discover as lovable in the man (but that was not for me)

But their ads were in facttalking about their mysery, those men weren't really trying to sell their real strenght, tenderness, funny or smart side ... whatever can be attractive about the man himself.

So I'm not sure it's an american specific trouble, They were from different countries (French or english talking) - I was the one checking - since I didn't want to put a pic).

just for the story :

I've met those who were funny (all finally wanted more - I mean sex at least - so it didn't work) : and here is the funiest thing which happen

Xavier (LOL) after taling friendly and a drink he told me straight ... I just want someone for sexe nothing more i'm tired with girls which get stucked ... so I've said : Well why don't you try prostitutes ? Too expensive ? We had a laugh but really the guy just disguste me !!!

• Mum
    Mum

Americans have a very materialistic society. We seem to believe as a culture that money can buy anything -- love, spirituality, legal justice or escape from legal justice, beauty, and even immunity from consequences of our own actions. Sometimes it does buy many of those things.

Friends of mine have tried dating services, usually with disappointing results. It's probably better to find activities and organizations where people with similar interests to yours are likely to be found. There are a lot of churches in my town with singles groups. I participated in one Christian singles group for a while, not affiliated with any church, but found that most of the people in the group were there because they probably would not fit in anyplace else - a strange group indeed.

Experience tells me that only the lucky few find the right person to be with for life. I hope you will be one of those, RAF.

Bonne chance en cherchant un honette homme,

SandraC

• RAF
    RAF

Thanks for your answer Sandra ...

Mais tu parles Français !!! Tunisie ??? (as tu été en France, aussi ?) tu peux utiliser le PM pour me répondre ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit