How do I ensure I don't miss any real JW news?

by yaddayadda 6 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I've decided to end my addiction and only visit this site once a week because it is eating into too much of my time and I want to get out there and engage with the real world and 'real people' more. I'm sick of living a virtual existence.

So what is the best way of ensuring I don't miss anything interesting in the JW-world on this site, and I mean such things as new directives from Brooklyn, 'new light', policy changes, changes to the meetings, new releases, reports on assemblies & conventions, GB personnel changes, and such-like. Ie, real news, not fluff and opinion. How can I find such news once a week without having to scan through so many posts on here that build up over the course of a week. Can that be done?

Just checking the 'active topics' doesn't seem to be the answer as a lot of fluff and nonsense ends up on there. And some very newsworthy posts gets put up on the 'friends' board when it should really go up on the 'Beliefs, doctrines and practices' board. And other sites that aim to provide this kind of information often miss important/interesting news.

How about the site starting up a 'JW news' board that is used only for news of official happenings and changes in the organisation. I think the site is crying out for that. Anyone else agree with me.

Yadda

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Have you tried http://www.google.com/alerts

Enjoy your free time.

lisa

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

One of the perks of frequently checking in (giving in to JWD addiction) is you get to hear the news first! Bit like attending the meetings - you gotta go to all of them to be there when they announce the date of Armageddon!

No meeting attendance, no 'first to hear the news'! Only joking :-)

Your idea of a 'JW news' category is great - Simon?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Google alerts and Yahoo alerts will give you news items and blog info - use the keywords Jehovah Witness [not plural] for the best hits IMO.

Much of the news though that gets here is inside stuff - and it never makes the press or blogs - so other than checking here, I don't know. There might be another website that monitors and tracks 'new light' and 'announcements' from within the borg - but I am not aware of one.

Enjoy your time away from the board - you'll be back - the addiction is too strong.

Jeff

• yesidid
    yesidid
    such things as new directives from Brooklyn, 'new light', policy changes, changes to the meetings, new releases, reports on assemblies & conventions, GB personnel changes, and such

Hi Yadda,

Your interests absolutely mirror mine. I would love to have all the things you mentioned above in a convenient area for quick perusal.

I applaud your suggestion second it.

yesidid

• KellyBean
    KellyBean

I think a strictly "news" section would be excellent as well.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am still an addict of JWD, but I hope in time that I won't really care about:

new directives from Brooklyn, 'new light', policy changes, changes to the meetings,
    new releases, reports on assemblies & conventions, GB personnel changes, and such-like.

Why don't you just PM one of your favorites here and they will tell you.
    Mind you, I am not volunteering for the job, as I hope to cut back, too.
    (Assuming I am one of your favorites- LOL)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit