Guard against "Independent Thinking"

by PinTail 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PinTail
    PinTail

Yes when I heard them say to guard against "Independent Thinking" at
    assembles, congregation meetings, and in print, I immediately feel a cold feeling run down my back, like something evil and not Jehovah. Thinking about it now, I can't" understand how everyone else who is still a witness cannot be just as unsettled by the admonishment to guard against "Independent Thinking". It is a sure, mark of a cult irregardless of the scatterings of truth that are there. Anytime you have a religion or anyone else saying to you that you can't think for your self apart from Landru" (GB) then its time to get your fool head out of the sand. Hootie Hoo Shane

• anewme
    anewme

Very true Shane!

• choosing life
    choosing life

Never could understand how they could demonize thinking for yourself. Kinda creey, isn't it. We all have to make decisions constantly through each day.

What they really mean is don't forget to make each decision with our indoctrination firmly in place.

• zack
    zack

Every other area of my life I always ran the other way whenever some one started telling me "how" to think, except religion. I should have started thinking for myself 30 years ago. Yes, it is the mark of a cult.

• undercover
    undercover

The WT article that counseled against "Independent Thinking" is one of the few articles that stood out enough for me to remember years later.

When I first read that article something felt wrong about it, but I was eat up with cognitive dissonance at the time and somehow managed to not think too much about it.

But something about that article lodged in my brain and thoughts about that article would pop up from time to time. By the time that I really started to question the religion, I remembered that article as being one of the triggers that caused me to voice my doubts consciously instead of sub-consciously.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

Oh, but they "DO" encourage independent thinking and research.....just so long as your conclusions end up the same as theirs.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Anytime you have a religion or anyone else saying to you that you can't think for your self apart from Landru" (GB) then its time to get your fool head out of the sand.

I so enjoyed the Star Trek series on TV and remember Landru and how stupid I thought it was that everyone had to "seek Landru's thoughts." I was glad when the aliens were taken out from under his spell.

At the same time, I would not do or dare think any thoughts of my own without finding out "how the society views this."

I remember scrupulously looking up information (from a 50's Awake) about Pinatas when my daughter was very young. The Awake article said that this was no innocent game, but was from FALSE RELIGION. I wanted nothing to do with it, nor would I allow my child to be anywhere near them at school if they were used in any type of party.

Then, a more recent article came out that said that now if they are not commonly viewed as having any tie to false religion, they are O.K.

WHAT THE HEY!!! I must have looked like some sort of idiot to the other parents at school. Now, it is different-with a few strokes of the keyboard in New York it is all hunky-dory.

I too was "seeking Landru."

• changeling
    changeling

The concept never sat well with me either. Now that I've faded I just don't understand how they all sit there and take it. How dare they tell people not to think independantly! How brainwashed we were to go along with it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit