Does eating a rare steak = eating blood?

by neverendingjourney 54 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here is one case where the Tower goes beyond the things written. No, they haven't said anything about it yet. But, one would expect that one day they are going to decide that the blood trapped in the meat is enough to count as "eating blood". And since milk is also created from blood, they might decide to ban that too. Who knows what stupid bans they are working on, and will not be released until the Kool-Aid edition of the Craptower debuts and gets going in 2008?

The things that are written in the Bible, if you choose to follow it, amount to procedures for draining the blood out of the animal before eating it. If an animal was properly bled, it didn't matter if there was blood remaining. You could eat it, even as an orthodox Jew (who still prohibit blood use). (Notably, many Jewish denominations accept blood transfusions as well). The Bible never totally banned eating product that was contaminated with naturally occurring blood or that was made by the body from blood. All it said is that you cannot eat meat with added blood or that has not been properly bled. And that is pretty blatant. Even in the NT, it tells people to abstain from added blood or from things strangled (=not properly bled). No stupid maze of rules to follow.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I posted some rather brutal links here last year on slaughterhouses and how animals are really slaughtered (inhumanely) and what most JWs don't realize is that in many cases, animals are killed by strangulation. The Society makes such a big deal about the scripture in Acts that says "abstain from blood" but that very same passage also says "abstain from things strangled", and apparently this is of no concern at all to the Society.

What an excellent point! Do you have the links to the information you are talking about?

-Drew

• needproof
    needproof

Whats so rare about steak? I see it all the time - you can even buy it in a supermarket ;p

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

drew sagan....I don't have the specific links I posted before, but I think you would be able to find the information on animal rights websites. The book Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz documents how animals are sometimes strangled with cables and dragged to death. I don't know what proportion of the meat in our food supply results from "death by strangulation" (I doubt if anyone knows) but the point of course is that if one does not eat kosher or halal or humane/organic meat, one does not know if one is eating "things strangled". The Society has focused on blood transfusions as a big HUGE cause celebre, but shows almost no interest whatsoever in more practical everyday applications of the "prohibition" in Acts 15. That is a huge oversight imo.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

at a recent witness gathering me and the presiding over seer had a filet mignon and the blood was oozing - I see no issue - but I know others do.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    The Society makes such a big deal about the scripture in Acts that says "abstain from blood" but that very same passage also says "abstain from things strangled", and apparently this is of no concern at all to the Society.

I haven't studied JW history as well as many people here have, but this is my take on why this might be the case. Please feel free to correct me if my facts are wrong.

The Rutherford Era was about picking up the pieces of the movement Russell had started and molding it into something new, something Rutherford could control. Thus a lot of fringe teachings began to emerge (the ban on holidays, Jesus died on a torture stake, not a cross, etc.). Rutherford sought to put his unique stamp on the religious movement. One of the new teachings introduced was the ban on blood transfusions. In the years and decades after Rutherford died, new leaders emerged. They were more concerned with the growth of the religion. They backpedaled and softened their stance on as many fringe beliefs as possible (vaccinations, organ transplants, etc.). They were in a quandary over many of the fringe teachings that had become too deeply associated with the religion; chief among them was the ban on blood transfusions. On one hand, if you do away with it, an obstacle that prevents many people from becoming members disappears. On the other hand, you don't want to cause a stir with the members you already have. JW membership has been lulled to sleep by JW teachings. They don't think for themselves. If you shake them too hard, many might wake up and begin to reassess their faith. Getting rid of the ban on blood transfusions would create a huge stir among the rank and file. It would be similar to the 1975 debacle. The Society doesn't want to risk that, so they've come up with an alternate solution: they're going to chip away at the blood ban little by little. With progressive changes in the teaching, most JWs won't realize anything has changed. Therefore, they're not interested in looking at new ways to toughen their stand on the blood issue. Concerns about blood in meat or strangled animals are dismissed. They'd dump the teaching if they could. However, they're more interested in softening their stance on blood as much as possible without having to get rid of the doctrine altogether. They don't do away with the blood ban because they are married to the doctrine. If they strip it away, one of the major teachings associated with JWs will be gone. Plus, the change would probably upset enough people to create a noticeable decline in membership.

It's something like Roe v. Wade in the United States. Abortion opponents want to get rid of it, but the Supreme Court would get itself into a bind if they overrule it. The pro-life movement would be invigorated (having a palpable effect on the political landscape), and people would further lose faith in the legitimacy of the court. How do you get around that? Simple. You begin to chip away at abortion rights little by little. That's the strategy that most pro-life groups are now adopting as opposed to seeking an outright reversal of the Roe decision. After a while, abortions become so restricted that fewer and fewer women have access to them. In essence, you are able to restrict abortion access without having all of the negative side effects of an outright reversal of such a monumental case. In my opinion, the society is striving as hard as possible to make the blood ban a non-issue. They're slowly allowing their membership to utilize more procedures than ever before. It's gotten to the point that the teaching on "conscience" decisions is so confusing that virtually no one can make sense of it anymore. Most JWs either choose to accept all "conscience" procedures or to reject all of them. I wouldn't count on the Society seeking new ways to broaden the blood ban.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I take back some of what I said. I've been doing some research and it appears the blood transfusion ban began shortly after Rutherford's death. I don't think this changes the basic point I was trying to make, though, especially about the Society being married to the doctrine and trying to chip away at it (probably in order to avoid potential lawsuits and in order to make itself more appealing to potential converts).

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Neverendingjourney:

You are right about them being "married" to this doctrine, so there is no graceful way to get out of it. I agree that they are "chipping away" at it in hopes that nobody will notice. I also feel they are married to the doctrine of the house to house work or public preaching work. If they stop this it will cause a panic among certain people, unless they can persuade the gullible R&F that the work is ending because god wants it to. They would have to be very clever how they do this.

Ending these teachings that have become so deeply rooted in the religion poses a dilemma for them and they know it. So, they may hang on to them in some form till the very end regardless.

LHG

• still_in74
    still_in74

Ok so I'm new here. Here's my bit... I just ordered C of C the other day after months of agonizing research and now I am surfing around this forum for something.... anything! and I came across this. Being "still in" I can tell you that its not how you cook it that matters, its how you "bleed" it that is the issue. Animals were not to be strangled, but bled properly. Jews had detailed instruction as to how to bleed and clean meat. The simple fact is there is no way to eliminate "all" blood from meat (and yes, I remember the ol' 'meat juice' thing too"), and I think its safe to presume that God knows this fact. As long as the animal was bled properly God's commandment was followed. That is the issue.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

LHG - Definitely. The blood doctrine is not the only troublesome doctrine that they're married to and are having a hard time getting rid of. The door to door work is a perfect example. I was a regular pioneer for a year and a half and I managed to convert 0 people to the "truth" in that time. If they were really serious about proselytizing, they'd be putting stuff out on TV and using charitable functions to help reel in new members. Of course, the downside is that the more public exposure that they get, the less they can control what's being said about them. Oops.

still_in74 - Welcome. I only began posting two days ago, so I'm a newcomer myself. I was trying to convey the evolution of my views on the blood ban throughout my time in the org. Right after baptism, I was very green on things and equated red juice with blood. Of course, now I realize that what matters isn't how the meat is cooked, but how it's bled. But this realization led to some tough questions. If blood was still in the steak we were eating, why are we such sticklers about introducing blood into our bodies if we need a blood transfusion to save our life? Certainly Jehovah would know that there was still blood in the beef we ate, so do we really think he'd be okay with such a legalistic rule on blood transfusions. If Jehovah insisted on his "people" to abstain completely from blood he would have surely banned eating all type of meat in the first place. These were the kinds of questions that eventually led me to leave the org. Stick around. Read some of the discussions on here, both old and new. They've helped me put some things in perspective. I'm certain you and I are going through some of the same feelings and that we're asking similar questions. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit