What's wrong with Christianity?

by eyefell4it2 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyefell4it2
    eyefell4it2

I found this comment on a Yahoo article re same sex marriage and I happen to agree with it and thought I would share it. Of course there are others that can be added if you specify What's wrong with Jehovah's Witnesses but I think this list is a good overview. Would anyone else care to add anything to this list or comment? I am home sick and dying for intelligent conversation!

Top 10 Problems with Christianity.

1) Relative Time: It makes no sense that the relatively short life we live on this planet, at most 100 years and perhaps as brief as a few minutes, would be used by a God to determine our ultimate destiny, one that will last trillions and trillions of years and beyond.

(2) Lack of Gradation

Christianity proposes that only one of two fates awaits humans after they die — an extremely attractive invitation into Heaven or a miserable, dreadful sentence to Hell. Given the complexities and varieties of human experience, offering only two judgments is absurd.

3) Repentance:

The simple act of repentance will allow someone who to go to Heaven.Ted Bundy, a confirmed murderer of over 30 young women, confessed his sins before his execution and, according to Christian doctrine, was sent directly to Heaven. Bill Gates, an atheist who has lived a virtuous life and has donated more than $27,000,000,000 to global health, development, and education will be sent to Hell.

4) Infant Death

Most Christians believe that people who die at a young age are given a free pass to Heaven. It would seem to suggest that dying at a young age, before encountering the age of accountability, would be the best and safest way to leave Earth. This would guarantee a place in Heaven without having to take a risk of living a potentially failed life in the sight of God.

5) Life

Many Christians believe that life begins at conception and an entire anti-abortion industry has been built around this concept. But it presents a problem. Does a fertilized egg that fails to implant in the uterus go to Heaven? This seems a bit absurd

6) Judas

What he allegedly did actually hastened the salvation of mankind, as defined by Christianity. Without Jesus’ capture and execution, everybody would still be subject to the condemnation of original sin as well as their personal sins, making him a hero.

7) Tiny Drama/Huge Stage

“It doesn’t seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil — which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.”

8) Slavery.

The Bible condones Slavery according to Exodus and Leviticus.

9) Christians Ignore Old Testament Laws

Jesus said to follow old testament laws: “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law of the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

10) Free Will

We live our lives fully capable of sinning, or dooming ourselves to Hell, because we have Free Will. Yet, we are perfect in Heaven? Do we not have free will in Heaven? If we truly knew that God was real, and if we truly knew the consequences of denying him, how could anyone knowingly reject him? About 30% of the whole world is Christian, so that means 70% are hellbound? Did God give us too little information to make a rational choice, or did he make us too stupid to figure it out? Or is Satan stronger than God? Hell certainly seems to be more populated than Heaven.

BONUS: Splintering

The surest sign of a man-made enterprise is that it splits quickly into many different factions. On the other hand, one initiated by a God would be expected to converge into a tight unity. This is because only those groups that aligned correctly with the divine theological blueprint would receive supernatural support and thereby flourish, attract members, and survive the long term. Any wayward factions would lose favor and couldn't compete for new members.

There are now more than 41,000 Christian denominations, many of which have very disparate beliefs and practices. This is a valid clue that Christianity is a man-made concept.

• cofty
    cofty
    That list is a good start.
  • talesin
    talesin

On a humourous note, I read the topic's title, and thought "Where do I begin?"

Yup, agreed with Cofty, a good start.

Let me add my own personal favorite,,,

A god who in the Old Testament, is all about vengeance and horrific punishments for enemies, but in the New Testament is "turning the other cheek" and forgiveness ... yet, will in the end, exact a fiery judgement from those who oppose him (Revelation) ~ is that supposed to be spelled with an 's' - Revelations ? Whatever. :P

t :sunglasses:

• eyefell4it2
    eyefell4it2

@ Cofty- Thanks, I can think of a few more but they still fall into subsets of the originals (like inequality for women who are seen as property or lesser than men)

@ Talesin- Yes! I didn't even think of that! The bible sort of presents a "bipolar" God view which seems insane to say the least.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To your title.......what's wrong is that no one wrote anything down when Jesus was teaching and preaching......... including Jesus......not good.

Paul is what's wrong. Among other things Paul took it upon himself to circumcise Timothy......I don't know about you, but that's just creepy.

Christianity evolved from the Jewish tradition so it is bound to all of the sins of the Old testament.

Another problem is what Jesus didn't teach. Apparently Slavery was OK? He left out........ don't drink the blood and forgot to mention Armageddon nor specify when he would actually return.

But Jesus did set a great example....... he waited until he was 30 to get Baptized.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

11) Jesus Death?

A son going away for less than three days and then coming back doesn't qualify as a "sacrifice" to save mankind...

It doesn't even qualify as Spring Break.

-TE

• Viviane
    Viviane

Christians, were they to actually follow their religion, would be counted among the worst war criminals in history.

Fortunately for us, they are lazy.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

If our eyes are even a little open it seem to be pretty clear and obvious that the Bible is nothing more than a mis-mash of beliefs, stories and concepts created by the confused and finite human mind.

I's as if the words “Holy Bible”, could suitably and correctly be interpreted to mean: if you are looking for ultimate-truth, for a message most auspicious and pure then, don't look here”.

Yet billion do; perhaps because it seems to so perfectly lull us back to sleep in the blanket of our own warm and familiar bewilderment.

• eyefell4it2
    eyefell4it2

Thanks everyone, these are all great points. I just realized something about Sodd & Gom (not even going to attempt to spell them right now) is that they were destroyed for such blatant evilness but then what Lot's daughter's did was sick as well so why not destroy them too? So many questions when you base your faith solely on the Bible. It does indeed feel like a jigsaw puzzle with pieces from completely different puzzles added in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit