How many people leave the organization?

by indahsempurna 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• indahsempurna
    indahsempurna

Does anyone know the stats on how many leave? My mother told me that only 87,000 got baptized last year. It seems to me that more would have left then that. Why do they claim to continue to grow? Also, she thought it was strange they seemed to have developed more anointed in the past years. Haha.. Of course she goes on to say well they might have mental handicaps .?.?.? Others I have known that claim to be anointed have been DFed in the past. My mom can't understand that either.. Just says the "light will get brighter" ... I know I would give my right leg and arm just so my parents can realize the truth. I really wish that was an option. I hate having my mother call me crying for the past 5 years saying shes so disappointed in me and herself for me turning out the way I did.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

welcome to the board inda

purps

• karnage
    karnage

I mean no disrespect to your mother or family, but they should be glad that you are not in prison or anything like that. A person's character is not defined by whether or not they attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall. The fact that you are a free thinker speaks a lot about you.

Welcome to the board.

• carla
    carla

should be glad that you are not in prison or anything like that.---What? why would that even be a thought? Well, for a jw I suppose it would.

How is it you 'turned out'? You mean you no longer choose to follow a man made org and that is her entire problem with you in life?

Welcome to the board. Your mom still talks to you? Many here do not have that same luxury. The next time she starts up just tell her 'the jw's & wt does not live up to MY standards (from a finallyfree I think) and tell her you don't want to hear it anymore unless she would like to read and discuss the C of C book, the UN scandal, the pedophile scandal or any of the others. As an adult you can set the boundries in your life.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    she thought it was strange they seemed to have developed more anointed in the past years. Haha.. Of course
    she goes on to say well they might have mental handicaps .?.?.?

WTS encourages the thought your mother had- that partakers might have mental handicaps.

w96 8/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers***

Questions

From Readers

The

reports for some years show that the number partaking of the Memorial emblems increased slightly. Does this suggest that many new ones are being anointed with holy spirit?

.....The most recent published report is for the year 1995, and it shows 28 more partakers than in the preceding year though the ratio of partakers to those attending did actually drop. On balance, that a few more chose to partake of the emblems is no cause for concern. Over the years some, even ones newly baptized, have suddenly begun to partake. In a number of cases, after a while they acknowledged that this was an error. Some have recognized that they partook as an emotional response to perhaps physical or mental strain. But they came to see that they really were not called to heavenly life. They asked for God’s merciful understanding. And they continue to serve him as fine, loyal Christians, having the hope of everlasting life on earth.

There is no need for any of us to be concerned if a person begins to partake of the emblems or ceases to do so. It really is not up to us whether someone actually has been anointed with holy spirit and called to heavenly life or not. Recall Jesus’ solid assurance: "I am the fine shepherd, and I know my sheep." Just as assuredly, Jehovah knows those whom he has chosen as spiritual sons. There is every reason to believe that the number of anointed ones will continue to decline as advanced age and unforeseen occurrences end their earthly lives. Yet, even as these truly anointed ones prove faithful till death, in line for the crown of life, the other sheep, who have washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb, can look forward to surviving the impending great tribulation.—2 Timothy 4:6-8; Revelation 2:10.

Welcome aboard.

• grey matters
    grey matters

Try this link. It has statistical information of the type you are looking for. It was put together by another member here.

BTW, Welcome!

http://jwfacts.com/index_files/statistics.htm

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Welcome to the board!

Where are you located at?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

There has been over 1 million leave in the last 10 years. The figures your mum gave seem to be for 2005. There was 247,000 baptised, but the publisher increase was only 81000, due to the huge number leaving.

Jehovahs witnesses have one of the highest turnover rates of any religion, which is encouraging for anyone being shunned.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That means 166 000 left (247-81) in 2005 that's an enormous number. There are now probably more ex dubs than there are dubs in the world given all those that left over the years. Had it not been for increases in the more ignorant and naive third world they would have shown big decreases by now. The foolishness of the FDS is gradually catching up with him.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Inda.. , I just wanted to say hi as well.

I was thinking about what you wrote about your mother. You haven't said too much about your situation so I can't say too much and I hope you don't mind me giving my point of view. I think people need to stand up to JW family members that go the guilt trip on them and draw some boundaries. Witnesses need to know that shunning can go both ways, rather than think ex JWs need to hang their heads in shame and beg for forgiveness. The way i would respond to your mother saying what a disappointment I am is to tell her something like the following:

"Mum, I am not prepared to listen to you berate yourself or me anymore, so please do not call again when crying and upset about the religion. Everyone thinks their religion is the correct one, but that doesn't make it so. Likewise, just because you think it is the truth does not make it the truth. I have done enough research to know God does not operate through the Watchtower Society and is not so evil as to kill billions of people just because they do not believe what you believe. I am never going to be a JW and our relationship is not going to work if you keep bringing it up. From now on if you start to to discuss the Watchtower I will need to hang up."

That may be a bit harsh, but you get the idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit