What was Pastor Russell really like?

by Doug Mason 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

What was Charles Taze Russell really like? He is often held in contrast to his brusque, domineering, and rude successor, J F Rutherford. Was CTR, the philanthropist who poured his fortune into the movement he founded, the pure democrat, a contrast to the dictatorial JFR?

What mattered most to CTR? Was he most driven by dates derived from prophecy, the invisible Parousia of 1874, the Ransom, the end of the Gentile Times, or Zionism?

Was CTR loved and deeply admired without question? After all, CTR was deeply respected for his humility in not forcibly promoting himself as being the Faithful and Wise Servant that Jesus had spoken of. That was left for others to declare.

Until his death in 1916, did CTR remain unchallenged at the helm of the organization he created? Well, not exactly.

In 1894, about 15 years after he published his first Watchtower, CTR discovered “a conspiracy” against him.

So, in a special issue of The Watchtower, CTR laid bare the machinations of these conspirators, and in the process, reveals a little of the man himself. Most modern WTS researchers are not aware of this issue of the Watchtower, and few have read it.

A copy of this issue of The Watchtower is now available at:
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/136673/1894---WT-Extra---A-Conspiracy-Exposed--OCR--pdf.html
    The searchable OCR text appears behind the image. (The OCR software had a little difficulty with some of the ornate lettering.)

Since the above file is very large (55 Meg), a smaller OCR-only file (833k) is available:
    http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/142671/1894---WT-Extra---A-Conspiracy-Exposed--OCR-only--pdf.html

Use your PDF software to count the number of times the following words occur: 1874, 1914, gentile, Tower, and ransom. What do the results tell you?

Who were the people he names? What happened to them, in terms of their association with CTR? For example, Henninges, the husband of Rose Ball (http://www.gimpelfang.de/messageboard/data/483-1.html ), was later to have a connection with our town of Melbourne, Australia.

Doug

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

What was CT Russell like? What are YOU like? I guarantee you that if I ask that question of your mother I will get a somewhat different answer than from your dad. The same with your sisters, and your brothers. Ditto for uncles, aunts cousins. Very different answer from your various coworkers depending on how well they knew you, how much they interacted with you, and whether or not you "clicked" with them. Each of your teachers would have different takes as well, as would your childhood neighbors, playmates, and current neighbors and friends. Your fellow church members, if you're a chuch-goer would describe you differently as well. You have your own idea about yourself.

Your enemies, and face it you have enemies, will have the most interesting view of you at all. They will say things about you that are true, but that you do not wish to face. The same is true of them. You have negative information about them which they do no wish to face.

My point being that "what pastor Russell was like" depends on whose account you read. His ex-wife describes him one way, his close friends another, his subordinates another, his admirers another, his enemies another. If you're an intelligent discerning individual you won't snap your mind shut around any single one of these impressions of Russell. The man was just like you. Multi-faceted, multi-leveled, multi-layered. He had his good qualities and bad qualities and in-between qualities. He had strengths and weaknesses. Those who seek to demonize him are as foolish as those who seek to beatify him. He was a human male. His enemies will overstate his flaws and sins, and downplay his good side. His admirers will downplay his flaws and sins and overstate his good side. Trinitarians will denounce him as a "heretic" while Arians will proclaim him a hero.

Learn to smell horse feathers and you'll do fine.
    If I were to open the "closets" of his enemies I suspect I would find just as much negative clutter as I can find with Russell or anyone else. I suspect I could find much good in his enemies as well. The same with his friends, family, admirers, co-workers, whatever. Rather than seek a particular fecet to clamp your mind shut around, read as much about him as you can, and then fit the jigsaw puzzle together. I know this is not the answer you're seeking, but it's the only intelligent answer. Simplistic one-dimensional presentations of anyone is simply propaganda, written with an ideological with an agenda. I've read all the available literature about Russell, and most of his own writings, and that's why I recommend you take the intelligent path to knowing and understanding the man as much as possible nearly a century after his death. You will find aspects to admire, facets to take a dim view of, and much in-between. The same as you and I would discover about each other.

Charles Taze Russell was simply a man. Treat him as one and your view of him will be well-rounded, realistic, and quite accurate. -Martin

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I agree with FireNBandits. He was "simply a man." I think in contrast with Rutherford, there was a core of followers who loved and respected the man. But even from early on, some of his assoicates were concerned about his tendency toward wanting to be center stage. A number of his close associates left Russell over the controversy of the "New Covenant" including his own sister, Mae Land. And there were others who left because of other doctrinal differences. But all in all, I think Russell projected a much kinder and sympathetic image in spite of his "warts."

Rutherford, on the other hand, seems to come across as a harsh and vindictive individual who kept his followers in line with fear. Some may have admired him as a "warrior of Jehovah." But I doubt if any were attracted to him because of his kindness and gentleness. He too was "simply a man." But men can be divided into "good" and "bad." It depends on which quality outweighs the other.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I think it is very telling on the title's the followers used for both men. Pastor Russell and Judge Rutherford. I think that pretty much sums it up. One is viewed as a Pastor the other as a Judge.

Leslie

• stev
    stev

There have been some good posts on this thread. The JWs in their official histories compare Russell with Rutherford in this way and since it reflects somewhat negatively on Rutherford, it is likely true if they admit it themselves. It is true that Russell promoted a congregational, democratic form of church government. He tried to keep the Society, a business corporation, separate from the churches. On the other hand, he did run the Society as President for years, it seems with great power. It is true that he did not openly promote himself as "that servant", in fact he wrote very little about it, and when he did write about it, it was ambiguous and vague. After his death, it was openly acknowledged that he was "that servant", so it is likely that many regarded him that way during his lifetime. It is likely that Russell himself agreed with this. It was not clear what it meant. But since the Bible says "that servant" was placed OVER the household, this would imply a greater authority and position over other Christians. Although Russell promoted democracy, this doctrine of "that servant" conflicted with it, and would give Russell a position of authority without any equal. Russell in his Last Will intended for the Society to be run after death with a balance of power, and the obvious intention was to prevent abuse of power by one individual.

The dates and chronology did not matter most to CTR. He regarded the Ransom and Restitution to be more important. His book that was distributed most, The Divine Plan of the Ages, did not deal extensively with the dates, that was covered in other books. He spoke and wrote on a wide variety of subjects, some being mainstream Christianity, but other opinions were unorthodox but appealing to some who were attracted to Russell's message. Russell persuaded some followers because of the dates, but others were persuaded by other teachings of his.

There were several divisions and challenges to Russell's authority. There was the division that is discussed in the Conspiracy Exposed. Russell's wife left him. Around 1909 there were quite a few who left over the New Covenant and other doctrines. Others left around 1914.

The Conspiracy Exposed was Russell's personal defense against charges that were made, so there is little doctrinal discussion there, so it isn't surprising that certain terms don't show up. Somewhere there Russell stated that he sold his business around 1882 or so, for a certain figure over $300,000 and decided to live off the interest of his investment so that he would not have to work for a living and could devote himself to religious work instead. He told what some of his investments were. In one of the links in the original post, it is stated that Russell earned most of his fortune after starting the Watchtower, but no proof is given, it is assumed based the census records of 1870. But here Russell states the figure that he sold his business for. Perhaps there is some record of the sale in Pittsburgh that could verify this. When he donated his property to the Society later around 1908, he had around the same amount that he did in 1882, so it is possible that he earned his wealth apart from the Society.

What was Pastor Russell really like? I knew two people that worked for him at Bethel, both were elderly by the time I knew them, and died long ago. Their descriptions of him were positively glowing. One of them radiated a spiritual aura and good cheer, one of the few people I have met that I would call a "saint", who regularly practiced deeds of kindness to anyone. I asked him what Pastor Russell was like and his face lit up, and he said he was "like Jesus", but could not tell me how. The other man's recollection was detailed and vivid, and told many stories which are personal to tell now. He remarked about Pastor Russell's eyes, that were striking, perhaps their color or they sparkled, I forget. Pastor Russell had a sense of humor, which cannot be detected from his writings. He was highly skilled at managing and dealing with people, was persuasive, and accessible to those who worked for him.

He was a celebrity in his lifetime, whose picture was widely published, was recognized on the street, and in judging now this has to be taken into account to understand him. His enemies admitted that he was a very good businessman and promoter, but he was judged as an archheretic, and had several scandals attached to him. It seems now that some of his followers were involved in a personality cult with Russell, like with a father/children, beloved/lover dynamic with cultic overtones. Russell must have been personally charismatic and attractive, even though the admiration was taken too far.

Some of the scandals do look suspicious, but the evidence that would convict him beyond a reasonable doubt is often lacking. It is indeed difficult to really get a feel for what he was like with the opinions about him being so divergent. The label of "cult" and "cult leader" does not help, it demonizes and stagmatizes, and fails to explain the complexity of religion, especially new ones, and how some people are geniunely helped and others hurt. There were likely more than a few that were hurt by Russell's religion that have not been heard from.

If Russell was not "that servant" or God's appointed one, and his chronological scheme was basically wrong, it cannot but reflect negatively on his character, and he has to be held accountable for it. Excuses and apologies are no good. Even assuming that Russell was well-intentioned and saintly, if he was wrong about his dates, it needs to be given up and acknowledged. The shadow of Russell still hangs over the JWs and present-day Bible Students, just like Wiliam Miller, Ellen White and Herbert Armstrong. Whether Russell was good or bad or both, if he was wrong, he was wrong.

• glenster
    glenster

One thing Russell maintained through his presidency of the Watch Tower was that he was part of a little flock, eventually defining it as a literal 144,000. This isn't just different in a friendly way but uniquely vain, and he professed proportionate extra damnation for most other Christians regularly, and with as much sincerity as I can believe for his vanity. Notably, since part of his chronology was that Chrstendom (meant in a derogatory way) would be destroyed, but it grew instead, he propagandized it as "destroyed" in accusing it of little or no faith--actually just meaning a small percent agreed with everything he said to be included in his 144,000. Intending to show their lack of faith, he condemned things like worship of Jesus--"How strange that any should attempt to misuse and pervert these our Lord's words, to make them support the unreasonable and unscriptural doctrine of a Trinity,--three Gods in ONE PERSON," cynicism about Christian charity he didn't show, Presbyterian preachers accepting ideas about "Godless" evolution beyond the degree within a species he accepted and their agreement with science about the age of the Earth, that others taught a fiery hell and his was kinder--actually, many know the "fire" can be symbolic and take hell to be living in apartness from God, which many non-believers would find kinder than Russell's hell as death, etc.)

One of the more revealing examples of this cynicism about prophecy-playing is that he taught you weren't supposed to see wars, earthquakes, etc., as signs of the end. But in Aug., 1914, just after WWI broke out, July 28, 1914, over a year and two months earlier than his corrected (no year "0" between BC and AD years) prediction date, Oct., 1915, and a little over two months earlier than his original date, Oct., 1914, he pretended he predicted something. He rarely thereafter showed the welcome modesty he showed about that for a few years before WWI and kept claiming Armageddon was around the corner, and that he was of an elite Elect of 144,000, till the end.

One thing everyone agrees to in interpreting the Bible is that a false prophet isn't to be considered the average person with good and bad traits who just likes to play the lottery a little. In an earlier day, without needing to prove Russell was one-dimensionally bad, Russell would have been dodging rocks afer his first Rapture prediction (for April, 1878) was shown to be a fraud.

To rationalize such rarified righteousness (actually, he lost credibility with me, and any claim of being normally nice, when he claimed to be of a literal 144,000 who would be the only ones to help Jesus, Abraham, etc., rule the Earth from heaaven) meant using cynical means it make it seem so This was one of the reasons he cooked up prophecy pretensions though anything miraculous and tangible he assigned a date to didn't happen.

JWs leaders since Russell have maintained Russell's 144,000 pretension and claims of unique rules, and damnation of others--therefore making a unique appeal for the collection plate dollar. That's why their distinctive rules, like about birthday parties, and cooked-up ways of trying to make them seem like the right ones, are there. This includes Russell's expanded idea of what worldliness means, later partly and importantly responsible for deaths of followers in Germany and Malawi. It's why later JWs leaders have used their blood doctrine as a pretension of exclusiveness, which has led to deaths of followers and their children. Short of fatalities, it's also meant friendships and relatives getting broken up over the foolishness. These matters of vanity, needless division, and even fatalites, can come with the 144,000 claim/false prophet package, which is no doubt partly why the Bible teaches it as an offense worthy of death and not a typical acceptable shortcoming.

The Brooklyn Eagle revealed the court findings that he lied about his wife for a divorce so granted her one on her terms of him having been cruel, and that he was socking the worldy gain away in dummy companies while putting on airs of being a man so devoted to scripture that he just barely got by while trying to spread the word.

He had a warm self-regard and was spoken of favorably by those in on his elitist scam or duped by it. But without needing to take a one-dimensional view of just the bad things, the ongoing vanity and cynical ways of trying to make it seem justified are uniquely selfish enough that he falls below the average of what I'd consider normally modest and nice.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

When I posed my simple question, I never thought it would receive such interesting and valued responses.

Thank you.

Doug

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Hi Doug. I developed an affection for Russell after I was DFed, hence my response. I have fellowshipped quite a lot with various Bible Student ecclesias. They're the same as they were back in Russells day. (I'm not a Bible Student) These folks are a far cry from being like Dubs. They're some genuinely likable folks, generally speaking. -Martin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit