Groomed to become a CO

by Alligator Wisdom 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I sometimes hear the term "groomed to be a Circuit Overseer".

What does that entail? How do elders "reach out" for such work? [I'm assuming it's political brown nosing]

Do certain elders pursue such a course or are they given recommendations by their peer elders to the Branch/DO/CO?

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm sure that any of the Board's exCOs could give you a better and definitive answer, however:

Its where the COs actively encourage, promote and use Elders in the local congregation and on the CIrcuit and District, towards the goal of CO work. The recommendations come from them, rather than locally.

Being asked if you'd ever thought about Circuit work is a dead giveaway...

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Thanks LittleToe for your quick reply.

So I assume it must be like "being tested as to fitness first". Can I guess correctly and say that not many elders wish to be a CO?

I know that elders would encourage and give a workload to ministerial servants to see if they are capable enough to qualify eventually for eldership. Of course, a MS who eyes the position of elder would take all tasks and voluntarily do extra in order to attain such a status. I suppose that is what a CO does to various elders too in order to find someone willing. Then a willing elder would try and make his light shine when given the opportunity.

I'm speculating at this point. However, I notice that a certain elder in my congregation is itching for something higher.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Broadly speaking you're correct, but those who are "itching" for self-aggrandisement need to hide it well else they are looked over. Remember the drive for "humility"?

Personally I didn't give a hoot. My Dad and Grandad had been Elders and it was no big deal, and I had been surrounded by COs all my life, especially as my Dad had known many of them when they were all Bethel boys together. There was just an unspoken acceptance that I would continually reach out because I was bred to that mindset. For that reason I never thought of it in terms of hierarchy, and always called everyone by their first name rather than defering to "Brother so-and-so".

Of course a childless couple in their 30/40s, who are open to take on any assignment, are bound to be in the frame for at least being considered...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    How do elders "reach out" for such work? [I'm assuming it's political brown nosing]

Well, yes it is. You stay single or make the wife pioneer. Have no children.
    For every CO, say you are interested in helping the circuit in any way they
    want you to- move to another cong., Assembly parts, volunteer work.

The tricky part is pioneering yourself, keeping out of debt, using vacations to
    visit Bethel or work unassigned territory, telling your CO that you are available
    for short term assignments at Bethel (or to substitute CO).

• dozy
    dozy
    Can I guess correctly and say that not many elders wish to be a CO?

Correct. Most wouldn't touch the "privilege" with a bargepole.

The path to becoming a permanent CO is filled with many obstacles - most give up at the "substitute" stage once they have done a few visits. (Subbing involves deputising for the real CO - taking unpaid weeks off work and lacking any authority when making visits). It does entail giving up any chance of children and a permanent home , so even if the brother is willing , the wife usually isn't.

Are they given recommendations by their peer elders to the Branch/DO/CO?

No - generally the peer elders are not especially happy at a fellow elder wanting to become a CO , as it means that the candidate is often away from the cong on substitute business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit