ETs and Bible

by Woodsman 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I was wondering since leaving the WTS has anybody adopted new views on life from other worlds or do you still hold to the WTS's view.

I am open to alot of new possibilities. Pictures like the one below make me wonder. It was painted in 1710. Long before weather balloons and experimental aircraft. It is a painting of the baptism of Jesus.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/file/D55EE172-A459-4083-B4D9-7C8DAD36B789.ashx

How would your beliefs be affected if we were not alone?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The WTS explains the situation on earth like a court-case. They pretty much
    say that it would not make sense for Jehovah to produce other life on other
    planets, until this case is settled. They pretty much say that if there were
    perfect life elsewhere, then there would be no need to make a provision to
    bring us to perfection to settle the case.

Of course that is all nonsense, but the point would be that alien life would
    be one more proof that the Bible stories don't take everything into account.
    It's just great literature. Not meant to be a book that modern men live and die
    for.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"The WTS explains the situation on earth like a court-case. They pretty much say that it would not make sense for Jehovah to produce other life on other planets, until this case is settled. They pretty much say that if there were perfect life elsewhere, then there would be no need to make a provision to bring us to perfection to settle the case."

That is no argumentation which is used by the WT, so it quite simply is not correct ;-) . You mix up some points. They leave it pretty much open if there is life elsewhere. Or, on the other hand, they say that it is 100 % sure that there IS life out there - because there are angels and other spirit beings. But, when it comes to plant or animal or whatever life forms on other planets, they doubt it - but state that IF there is, it will not change the fact that there is a Creator etc. No reason to panic, no home run for Darwin. If - although it is unlikely - there is life on other planets, God created that life too.

But Earth will forever be the Jewel of Creation, the planet to hold a special position, because this is the planet upon which God's Son, Jesus, gave His life for us. And in so doing, he also proved for all eternity and for all the Universe that rebellion against the Creator is wrong and will be punished, so God's supremacy through Him sacrificing His life has bearing for all the Universe. Not only will such a sacrifice not be necessary any more here on Earth, but it will not be necessary in any place in the Universe. Wherever rebellion takes place - one will be able to point to our Earth and to Jesus' sacrifice and thereafter settle the question. That is the stand.

• needproof
    needproof

The universe is never ending, and the Witnesses want me to believe that there is no form of alien life out there? lol@those fools

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm still hopeful microbial life will be found on Mars. Although not ET's per se, I think it would still be a major find and go some way to proving life isn't so special to earth.
    Also the search for planets in the visible universe only took off in the mid 90's due to new detection techniques and about 5 new ones are found every week. Up to now all gas giants but one day maybe they'll find a life sustaining planet.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

As a pro-science atheist, I suspect there is life beyond the Earth. Especially now that we know planets aren't that uncommon. I still find claims of earthly E.T. visitations doubtful, but possible.

IsaacJ

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

No, as I stated that is NOT what they want you to believe; they hold it to be unlikely, but NOT impossible.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Thanks for your thoughts. Live long and prosper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit