Deaths Due To Blood Refusal

by Marvin Shilmer 4 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Deaths Due To Blood Refusal

Statistical extrapolation is impractical at this time to estimate total annual deaths related to the Watchtower organization’s blood doctrine. However there is sufficient statistical data to conclude annual deaths based on at least one medical presentation.

A 2002 medical article by Khadra et al states:

“In the CEMD the very high risk of mortality in women who refuse blood transfusion was highlighted. The death rate in this group was 1 per 1,000 maternities compared with an expected incidence of less than 1 per 100, 000 maternities.”(1)

Assuming an annual birth rate of 20 per 1,000, and based on the Watchtower organization’s annual statistics, over the period of 1995 through 2006 there were at least 1,455,000 births among Jehovah’s Witnesses. Assuming these women presented themselves as refusing blood, this translates into 1,455 deaths during this period.

Marvin Shilmer

1. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2002, 2:7 (Full text available at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2393/2/7 )

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks for that info, Marvin.

This is very interesting.

It's really hard to find any kind of info on blood related deaths in the W.T. society. Glad you were able to dig this up for comparison.

Hubert

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Deaths Due To Blood Refusal – Clarification

The source cited by Khadra et al addresses maternal deaths in the United Kingdom. Compared to other nations the UK has advanced medical facilities and treatment options. Hence the statistical extrapolation of 1,455 deaths is extremely conservative given that a significant population of Jehovah’s Witnesses lives in developing countries with medical facilities and treatment options far less capable than what is available in the UK.

Marvin Shilmer

• M.J.
    M.J.

Very good point. I cannot imagine how less-than-advanced medical facilities can have much of a success rate in keeping hemorrhaging patients alive.

Your numbers are shocking, but very credible in light of my own personal experiences and the experiences of so many on this board.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have no statistical proof of this, but I bet that worldwide there are as many deaths in a year due to refusing blood as there are deaths in the Iraq war.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit