Please answer this question from my brother

by *jeremiah* 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Hi everyone, my bro just sent me this email. Can you answer his question? Thanks

"hey, I was looking through the Jan. 1st 2007 watchtower because I saw on one of those forum sites a post about how the Jan 1st watchtower was very poorly written and drew away some JWs. I came across an article called "The First Resurrection-Now under Way! The article is claiming that the 1st resurrection has already begun. I think basically what they are saying if I am reading the article correctly is that the first resurrection began in 1914 and is continuing until Armageddon. The reason I am writing you this is because I was wondering if this is yet another new doctrine and there is a kids mom in my frat that is a JW, and he is the one that let me borrow the watchtower. Let me know. later"

• Nellie
    Nellie

No. This isn't new. Their belief is that those faithful worshipers of God who died after Jesus was resurrected, but before he took heavenly power, were sleeping in death until Christ took heavenly power in 1914. At that time they were resurrected to his side. Since then, members of the anointed who die (the balance of the 144,000 that they believe are going to heaven) are immediately resurrected to heavenly life.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

From what I can remember, this is not new. For as long as I can recall, I was told the apostles in heaven were watching us go door to door. From what I know now, they probably are and are shaking their heads in disgust at the deception the JWs are spreading.
    *** it-2 p. 786 Resurrection ***

Time of the heavenly resurrection. The heavenly resurrection of Christ’s joint heirs begins after Jesus Christ returns in heavenly glory, to give first attention to his spiritual brothers.

*** w65 4/15 p. 241 par. 22 The Coming Banquet for All the Peoples ***

In fact, the Bible’s own time schedule connects up with the dates of world history and marks the year 1914 as the date for the birth of God’s promised kingdom in the heavens. By Bible time-schedule measurements the “times of the Gentiles,” or “the appointed times of the nations,” ended in autumn of that year, and the things that Jesus Christ predicted nineteen centuries ago began being fulfilled in their foretold order. (Luke 21:5-24, AV, NW; Dan. 4:1-32; 12:1-4) So we are the ones who are living in the favored time when death must begin to be swallowed up, this miracle beginning first with the faithful dead followers of Jesus Christ who were promised a share with him in his heavenly kingdom. Revelation 20:4-6 calls theirs the “first resurrection.” As it is a resurrection to life with Jesus Christ in the heavenly kingdom, it is a resurrection invisible to our eyes.—1 Cor. 15:50.

*** w82 4/1 p. 22 The Kingdom and the Resurrection Hope ***

Time of the “First Resurrection”

8 The Scriptures link this “first resurrection” with Christ’s “presence [Greek, parousia].” (1 Corinthians 15:23) The apostle Paul writes: “The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ [starting from the first century and up to Christ’s coming to the spiritual temple in 1918] will rise first.” Paul then goes on to say that the anointed Christians “who survive to the presence [parousia] of the Lord,” and who therefore die during the parousia, will be immediately resurrected and “caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air.” (1 Thessalonians 4:14-17) They do not have to “sleep” in the grave, awaiting the resurrection. At death they are “changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.”—1 Corinthians 15:51, 52, Revised Standard Version.

9 Events in fulfillment of Bible prophecies indicate that Christ’s presence, or parousia, began in the momentous year 1914. (Matthew 24:3, 7-14) Then “the kingdom of the world did become the kingdom of our Lord [Jehovah] and of his Christ.” After this world-shaking event “the appointed time for the dead to be judged” came. This judging and the rewarding of those worthy began with those sharing in the “first resurrection” from Christ’s coming to the temple onward. (Revelation 11:15-18) Those anointed Christians who die faithful after the setting up of God’s kingdom are called “happy.” Why so? Because theirs is an instantaneous resurrection, allowing them immediately to take up their new duties with Christ Jesus in heaven.—Revelation 14:13.

10 The resurrection of the entire number of 144,000 anointed Christians called to reign with Christ in heaven is appropriately called the “first resurrection.” This is so because it precedes in time the resurrection to life on earth of mankind in general, the 144,000 becoming “firstfruits to God and to the Lamb.” (Revelation 14:1, 4; James 1:18) This puts them in a position of importance, since no other humans can “be made perfect apart from” these 144,000 priests, kings and judges. (Hebrews 11:40b; Revelation 22:1, 2) Furthermore, it is superior to any earthly resurrection, the 144,000 being raised “in the likeness of his Christ’s resurrection” to incorruptible, immortal life as spirit sons of God.—Romans 6:5.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

No, nothing new. It just that while the Revelation book claims it to be a fact that the 1st ressurection started in 1918 after the heavens were cleansed, the new Tower is seems to indicate this as a "possibility" or something less dogmatic. It smacks of a flash of new light in the offing, that's the big deal. There are other threads on this, do a little searching through them. Someone will be able to post the reference for you, just hang in there.

W.Once

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

No, nothing new. It just that while the Revelation book claims it to be a fact that the 1st ressurection started in 1918 after the heavens were cleansed, the new Tower is seems to indicate this as a "possibility" or something less dogmatic. It smacks of a flash of new light in the offing, that's the big deal. There are other threads on this, do a little searching through them. Someone will be able to post the reference for you, just hang in there.

W.Once

• Clam
    Clam

Jeremiah here's a link to this topic in a recent thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/124798/1.ashx

Clam

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

No, nothing new about it. But, for what it is worth, here is my spin on it:

Since nothing visible is happening in the world to make the average JW think that God and Jesus are really there, the Watchtower Book Club made up a doctrine some years ago to help members imagine that something BIG is going on invisibly behind the scenes.

Yes! A resurrection is taking place! Right Now! You can't SEE it but it is happening! All the Apostles and ancient Christians were resurrected after 1918/1919, but it was Invisible even though it happened! Trust Us! And every time one of the Anointed dies, he/she is resurrected on the spot, even though you can't see it! WoW! It is all happening right now!

All the while, nothing happens, except for the millions that the Book Club keeps raking in tax free.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit