Books and You

by ThomasCovenant 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello

As a teenager I read the following books in school that I feel had a profound effect on me and my character building. How about you?

A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt (a play)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

1984 by George Orwell

Animal Farm by George Orwell

I know it makes me look a little dull but it was only recently after getting out from the Borg that I realized one of the common threads with these books is the individual struggling to not follow the crowd of prejudice around him. I don't think I could really appreciate this until I freed myself from the JW mindset.

The fact that I appreciated these books was at odds with the high control that I internally fought with the Borg as subconciously I knew the Borg was the 'oppressor' of an individuals' mind. i just didn't admit it to myself.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• unhappy
    unhappy

I know it makes me look a little dull but it was only recently after getting out from the Borg that I realized one of the common threads with these books is the individual struggling to not follow the crowd of prejudice around him.

I have recently started reading books by John Shelby Spong. You may enjoy him.

• fokyc
    fokyc

How about:

William Golding "Lord of the Flies", this is the opposite and to me is how the Dub's work.

fokyc

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hello Bought Lord of the Flies yesterday as Xmas present for my daughter. Hope she enjoys it like I did.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I also read 1984 and Animal Farm I'm pretty sure those books affected me also.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Trumpet of the Swan....by E. B. White. I loved that book, read it three or four times. Having had to struggle to learn to communicate (w/ autism, I could not speak until I was 5), I found that book quite relevant to my own experience.

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

In high school,

Alien scared me

The Shining scared me to death. "See, it's OK... He saw it on the television." Still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I read so many books, it's difficult to Decide. I read "Macolm X" by Alex Haley many years ago. It made me realize the JWs aren't the only Cult around. So many similarities.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I also read Lord of the Flies

To Kill a Mockingbird

Animal Farm

They were among my favorites!

Also enjoyed J.D. Salingers'--Catcher in the Rye

Read a lot of Steinbeck in High School too, especially enjoyed Tortilla Flat and Grapes of Wrath and In Dubious Battle.

My favorite of all time is the two volume, "Winds of War" and War and Remembrance" by Herman Wouk. Unbelieveable works!

Sci-Fi--Dune

Real light reading--Louis L'amour

Brant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit